FSA Stem Bolts - rusty

Silly Old Hector
Silly Old Hector Posts: 573
edited June 2016 in Workshop
After a winter in the garage, the stem bolts (holding the bars) have surface corrosion, so I'd like to replace them. They're only a year old and the bike is my posh dry only bike.

I think they are M5x18.

Any recommendations for replacements that will not corrode or turn to cheese when tightened to 5Nm (using a small Ritchey torque key).

t.i.a.
All the gear, but no idea...

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    for stem bolts i'd just use high tensile steel, 8.8 or better

simplest is to put a smidge of acf-50 on them every year or so and they won't corrode

basic ss bolts aren't as strong, strength class 80 would be rough equivalent but probably not as easy to find

you could use ti bolts, but pricier and you need to make sure of the exact spec., put anti-seize on the threads of ti bolts before fitting
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Go to the local bloke who sells nuts and bolts to the trade and get some stainless steel Allen jobs.

Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Go to the local bloke who sells nuts and bolts to the trade and get some stainless steel Allen jobs.

Job jobbed.

The local bolt bloke always tells me he gets people in here with £2k bikes fitted with 2p bolts that are now starting to corrode.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Job jobbed.
    I just wander down to the bolt bins on the shop floor at work and find suitable stainless steel replacement bolts. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    redvee wrote:

Job jobbed.

The local bolt bloke always tells me he gets people in here with £2k bikes fitted with 2p bolts that are now starting to corrode.

FSA seem to be really bad for this.

I use bolt man bolts for everything: stems, seat post clamps, bottle cage bolts. All nice and shiny, all look the the same, don't corrode, cost next to nothing.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    redvee wrote:

Job jobbed.

FSA seem to be really bad for this.

I use bolt man bolts for everything: stems, seat post clamps, bottle cage bolts. All nice and shiny, all look the the same, don't corrode, cost next to nothing.

I'm impressed how their chainrings wear out faster than cassettes and even chains!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Why replace them ? why not remove the rust with some wire wool ? Stubborn rust can be removed with a dremel and brush tool.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    trailflow wrote:
    Why replace them ? why not remove the rust with some wire wool ? Stubborn rust can be removed with a dremel and brush tool.

Because they'll just rust again and they are at one of the most visible points of the bike.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Not for a while if you grease them they wont, and its only surface rust.

If you buy steel bolts again won't they rust aswell ?

Unless you really like buying new bolts then go ahead but bolt's dont disintegrate within a year after stored in a garage.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You don't need super strength bolts on your stem. As Matthewfalle mentioned just get some Stainless bolts from the hardware store and you'll be fine. Ti bolts are actually weaker than most steel stem bolts that come from the factory and Chinese Ti is a crapshoot. Just make sure you don't have bolts that have a special small diameter head to fit in the grooves of your stem. Bring the old bolts with you for comparison.