Replace my Spoon saddle with...?

wahla21
wahla21 Posts: 96
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have been struggling with saddles for years.

I've had Fizik Arione, Antarares, Spec Toupe, Sella Italia Flow, and a few more I can't remember... None of them worked for me.

I tried the Charge Spoon last year and it's been really good. However, after about 2 hours riding it does become painful again. I understand no saddle will be like sitting on a sofa but can anyone recommend a similar saddle to the spoon that worked for them over 3-6 hour rides..... I don't want to have to eat pain killers every time I'm out on a big ride.

Thanks for any help in advance....

Cheers

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You're wearing cycle shorts, right? Also, I would be wanting to look at your position and fit before suggesting that the problem is restricted to your saddle choice....
  • wahla21
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah got all that. Done bike fit so it's not that. Also tried loads of bib shorts and ended up with the assos I have now.

I'm a big fella (6.5, 85kg) so I guess a lot of pressure but I don't know.

The pain comes in the seat bones, not the muscles...
  • scottishgeek
    scottishgeek Posts: 143
    The most important thing I found when getting saddles to fit comfortably was width. I've changed all mine over to Fizik Ardea . They are only 2mm wider than the stock saddle on my last two bikes but I've done 6 hr plus rides when stock killed after 2 or 3.

Selle Italia have a body measurement system and from than recommend a selection of saddles, from their range of course.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Brooks B17....3 years of ass pain gone.

As Sheldon brown says leather saddles have only 1 advantage...they are more comfortable!
  • wahla21
    kingrollo wrote:

As Sheldon brown says leather saddles have only 1 advantage...they are more comfortable!

Don't they take years to wear in though?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    For me it's all about the set back not the saddle.
  • kingrollo
    wahla21 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Don't they take years to wear in though?

Well I've had 2, and they were pretty comfy out of the box - the one on my best bike, which gets most miles is really comfy now.
    No major breaking in for me, 100 miles at the very most.
    The imperial has the laces - so you can adjust the tension. You can pick them up for around £60 on Amazon
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Selle Italia have a body measurement system and from than recommend a selection of saddles, from their range of course.

Been there, done that, uncomfortable b*stard thing that I really must sell.

Got a Charge Knife...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yessssss

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've got a Brooks B17 on my hybrid and it is very comfortable. I tried it on my Synapse and my first thought was that it just didn't look right on a modern carbon bike. I know that shouldn't matter but.....................
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I have had specialized saddles, Fizik Anteras, Fizik Arione, Selle Italia, Pro-Logo plus a few more, but at the moment am riding a Fabric Scoop Flat Elite and its been comfortable since the moment I checked it on the bike, plus its cheap at around £40 for the bottom of the range one which I have.

http://fabric.cc/shop/saddles/scoop/

The do a try before you buy trial thing as well.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What tyres ? What PSI ?
  • wahla21
    Fenix wrote:
    What tyres ? What PSI ?

Continental GP II and 90-100psi.

Thanks for all the answers guys! Bought a Brooks B17 Narrow, we'll see how it feels after breaking it in but first half hour felt ok.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    wahla21 wrote:
    ............first half hour felt ok.
    It's the next 6 or so that really matter though!! It's a bit late now but there is always a Brooks Cambium as well. I have never tried one personally but have heard nothing but good about them. If it suited, the other plus is that they are supposed to be maintenance free (unlike their leather counterpart).

Hope the B17 works out for you - I forgot to say earlier that mine was more or less comfortable out of the box and didn't require any breaking in other than using the brooks leather treatment a few time before riding it.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What width tyres ? Probably 23 mm ?

If you can fit 25mm then you can reduce that PSI by a fair bit.
  • wahla21
    ayjaycee wrote:
    wahla21 wrote:
    ............first half hour felt ok.
    It's the next 6 or so that really matter though!! It's a bit late now but there is always a Brooks Cambium as well. I have never tried one personally but have heard nothing but good about them. If it suited, the other plus is that they are supposed to be maintenance free (unlike their leather counterpart).

Hope the B17 works out for you - I forgot to say earlier that mine was more or less comfortable out of the box and didn't require any breaking in other than using the brooks leather treatment a few time before riding it.

Yeah you're right, it's the 2+ hours that is important.

Cambium looks interesting, if I can't get on with the B17 I might try that one. Cheers!
  • wahla21
    Fenix wrote:
    What width tyres ? Probably 23 mm ?

If you can fit 25mm then you can reduce that PSI by a fair bit.

I use 25mm.

I am a big lad so going lower it feels too spongy...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm only 5kg lighter and run mine about 20psi lower. Much comfier ride than when I had 23mm on.
  • kingrollo
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I've got a Brooks B17 on my hybrid and it is very comfortable. I tried it on my Synapse and my first thought was that it just didn't look right on a modern carbon bike. I know that shouldn't matter but.....................

yes mine b17 is on a kuota kharma (carbon fibre) - I don't think it looks to bad (not great i will admit) - but for me its not an issue - I literally couldn't ride a bike with anything else. Id even brought a recumbent bike.

good luck with the b17 whala
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I've always liked the charge/fabric shape, but for me the scoop is the most comfy. I use a Scoop Ti for long runs, and a Fabric ALM for up to about 100 miles. I also get on pretty well with the San Marco Aspide carbon, which is worth considering, although the finishing is nowhere near as nice as the Fabric stuff.
  • I highly recommend B17 Cambium. Im a big lad and I use it without issue for up to 15 hours a a time. I struggled to find something comfy before this including leather brookes.... I find the way it flexes and fans out when you sit on it makes it perfect for larger behinds....plus it looks cool
  • wahla21
    Bit of an update:

Bought a Brooks B17 Narrow but it's a torture device! It might wear in as everyone says but for me it was way to hard and I got numb straight away.

Found a Fizik Arione Classic in the classifieds here and decided to try it out as it gets such good reviews. I'm pleased to say after a 2 hour ride today it felt fine, no numbness and very little soreness in the seatbones. We'll see how it goes over 3-4 hours but I'm happy with today's result.

Thanks for all the tips all, really appreciated.

Cheers
  • kingrollo
    wahla21 wrote:
    Bit of an update:

Bought a Brooks B17 Narrow but it's a torture device! It might wear in as everyone says but for me it was way to hard and I got numb straight away.

Found a Fizik Arione Classic in the classifieds here and decided to try it out as it gets such good reviews. I'm pleased to say after a 2 hour ride today it felt fine, no numbness and very little soreness in the seatbones. We'll see how it goes over 3-4 hours but I'm happy with today's result.

Cheers

Sorry the brooks didn't work out - can't help think the narrow wasn't a good move. Any hopefully you're sorted now - and with a more handsome saddle ! good luck...
  • wahla21
    kingrollo wrote:
    wahla21 wrote:
    Bit of an update:

Cheers

Sorry the brooks didn't work out - can't help think the narrow wasn't a good move. Any hopefully you're sorted now - and with a more handsome saddle ! good luck...

I tried the standard first but way too wide for me....
    Shame as so many people praise the Brooks. Maybe if I persisted but I'm not sure of I could stand the pain for that long...