Bike Box Alan or Evoc Pro

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Need help on this question!

Been a long time user of the Evoc bike bag; done at least 10 return flights with mine without issue, although on the last flight I did have some grief with my headset which I have no idea if it was related to the journey or not.

They have released a new version, the 'Pro' which is almost completely different construction. A client of ours had one on a tour recently and I was quite impressed. The top is stiffer and more protective, whilst the base, wheels and handle are all better quality. It also has a 'third' wheel for easy manouevering. However, the alu frame that he had inside is an over the top £100 extra.

Or the infamous BBA, presumably better protection, but heavier, less space inside for extras and more expensive. I like the idea that it's 'bulletproof'. Is there are history of bike damage in one of these? It's very simple though - just two plastic mouldings hinged together with some cheap wheels on the bottom. This is £430.

I can get the EVOC Pro for £312 (a French site is doing 15% off). (The original model is still on sale for about £220). It would seem the road fork cushion is included with the Pro.

So EVOC semi rigid; cheaper, lighter, collapsible, but potentially vulnerable, or

BBA rigid; top protection, bulkier, more expensive, longer to pack?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,139
    i came back to uk at gatwick last week, bike packed in a bba

in spite of the signage saying outsized items would be delivered at the outsize baggage desk (which is where i usually collect it), i watched in awe as a (packed) surfboard emerged from the baggage underworld, lolloped over the edge and jammed above the belt causing a pile-up behind it

awe turned to consternation when i saw it was my bba immediately behind, and then, as the surfboard was wrestled away, watched it fall down onto other stuff before reaching me, there were a couple more bba immediately behind it

fortunately no damage - i'm really careful how i pack it, always try to ensure even if something comes loose it there's plenty of soft stuff in the gaps to prevent things hitting each other

must've done well over 20 flights with it now, there're gouges and scratches to the case, and one of the internal velcro straps needs a pop rivet, but aside from that it's all ok

imho you want a case as tough as practical, because you never know what's going to happen
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • After my last 3 flights with a soft case i would only take a cheap bike in them.

Same as you, headset issues, seatpost issue and then finally a seat stay crushed.

I also had a bad experience with a BBA, where it looked as though it had been run over by a truck. Frame was undamaged though. Headset was shaken to bits and everything although strapped down was in a mess and loose in the box.

I'd rather reduce the element of pot luck now.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I have both and for my road bike I would always use a BBA
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    BBA, had for 3 years and been on numerous trips with it without any issues. I remember flying out to the etape a few years ago and seeing four trailers of bike boxes pulled alongside the plane. All stacked on top of each other. At that point I pretty much decided that I'd only ever take my bike out in a hard case.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I have also been trying to decide between the BBA or the Evoc or Scicon bags and it will only be an annual (if that) trip for me.

One concern with the BBA (and similar boxes/bags) where you have to remove the handlebars is that on my bike there isn't much give in the cables at the front as they are wrapped under the bartape. I'm not exactly sure where the bars are then fixed to the box but has anyone has any issues?
  • sungod
    for annual it might be better to hire (depends on trip length though and you can always resell a bba so it's a reasonable investment)

bar position depends on the cables and geometry, mine are quite short but i still can get the bars in a good position

i've got integrated bars which makes it a bit trickier, i do it as in the pic below to put the 'stem' away from the centre of the wheel (there's a thick foam sheet that goes between the wheels and the rest)

helmet in a software bag goes in the remaining gap
    heavy tools/other stuff are either strapped down or slipped under the bottom layer foam
    light stuff is in plastic bags so it will act as padding if anything comes loose

bba.jpg
  • bernithebiker
    Useful feedback thanks.

I can't get round the feeling that I could probably make something quite effective for £450.

Where all bike bags/boxes fall down is that they must cater for all kinds of bikes; MTBs, road, TT, small frames, big frames, etc.

If you could make a bag specifically for your bike, it could be much more effective. I'm thinking of a sheet of plywood with rubber clamps, that you place your frame onto. Another inverse sheet with similar clamps then gets placed on top, so you have a bike sandwich. This you can then place in a fairly basic hard case. I'm still working out what to do with the wheels.....!
  • sungod
    if you're thinking of diy, check the various airline rules on size/weight (they vary a lot) to be sure you'll be able to use it ok without being refused carriage or lumbered with extra charges

you'll also need to make sure it can be opened for inspection without you present and then closed properly again, if it's fiddly/non-obvious there could be problems
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    "...just two plastic mouldings hinged together with some cheap wheels on the bottom."

It is more than just that. The BBA has sections to hold your wheels in place, foam protection, Velcro straps that if used correctly hold everything in place securely and a support pole to stop it being crushed. I used one on a three-flight long haul journey and prefer the peace of mind over a soft case.

It is a bit bigger though and mine went through the oversized luggage section even though you hear of them sometimes sneaking through the normal luggage section. Cons are it is relatively expensive, is harder to store at home if space is an issue and it weights more (11kg) so eats into your allowance quite a bit.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    if you don't get a BBA you'll just end up wishing you did. you can buy one for £430 and sell it for £350 on ebay in a couple of years if you no longer need one. you can't do that with any other. I will never EVER use a soft case again after my frame came back damaged from a trip and ryanair just shrugged their shoulders.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bernithebiker
    OK, you've convinced me.

As much as I like the design and look of the EVOC, and the price was good, I just don't need any extra stress of worrying if the bike's OK or not, so BBA it is. It's ordered and will have it end June.