Why does the Tour/Dauphiné almost always climb Ventoux from Bédoin?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited June 2016 in Pro race
As per topic title.

I've climbed all 3 routes to the summit of Ventoux and it strikes me that the Malaucéne ascent is worthy of being on a WT route. I just wanted to know if their were logistical reasons for the route organisers having a preference for the Bédoin route.

Cheers!

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I agree - I guess it's the history. As to why historically Bedoin became the classic route - I haven't checked but didn't they quite often finish in Carpentras which would make a descent to Malaucene more convenient - so maybe that's why and once established it just stuck.

I'd like to see a day doing multiple ascents of Ventoux but with the numbers of spectators on the mountain I guess it'd be pretty much impossible to descend safely on one of the roads that was to be used as an ascent later.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    The Tour is a big elephant and it's quite difficult to manouvre an elephant up and down narrow paths. They are victim of their own success and have a hanful of mountain tops left that can accomodate the elephant... that includes the way up of course
    left the forum March 2023
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    The Tour is a big elephant and it's quite difficult to manouvre an elephant up and down narrow paths. They are victim of their own success and have a hanful of mountain tops left that can accomodate the elephant... that includes the way up of course
    I've only seen Bedoin & Sault sides - however I should imagine the big space for corporate & big-screen at chalet reynard is a big benefit tof the Tour. Plus wild boar man inhabits Bedoin side.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    There is stuff on the other side they could use instead of Chalet Reynard- there's a little ski station for instance. It would be a really good climb, it's very scenic, I actually thought the view was better as you are looking out over the foothills of the Alps (or some mountains anyway) rather than the plain. The transition from forest to bare rock isn't quite as dramatic but I really think it's just tradition.

I'd like to see them maybe do a couple of stages and work both climbs in over two days - think I would have to go down for that it's just such a great place.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    My all time dream stage for the TDF is a mountain time trial from Bedoin to Carpentras, testing climbing and descending skills
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    My all time dream stage for the TDF is a mountain time trial from Bedoin to Carpentras, testing climbing and descending skills

That would definitely get a complaint from Tony Martin