2012 Tcr Advanced 0 or 2013 S-works SL4

Shorty9
Shorty9 Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
May seem a no brainer but bit of context required! Firstly I am a developing rider, ex rugby player so reasonably strong but only be doing decent distances for 5 months. Now at the stage of averaging 35-38kph on rides with my old aluminium bike.

Decided I really want something newer for social rides as well as commuting 35km a day to work in Melbourne. Healthy used bike market here so seems crazy to spend new bike money. Have spotted the 3 bikes in the title and could do with some advice.

TCR - Nearly new with very few kms and has Di2. Not the prettiest bike and was only a 4500AUD bike originally but I can get it for 1700AUD.

S-works - Clearly a better bike but has done 16000km and only has Ultegra, plus I would need to splash out 2500AUD to get that one.

Given my level is the S-work potentially too racey? Is it worth the extra money for a more used bike or will I not really see the difference and should save myself 800AUD? WHeels are about the same by the way.

THoughts really appreciated....

Comments

• vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Those averages look a bit high, but if they're real then get yourself a proper race bike and get in some races, you should soon be riding a top spec bike for nowt ‼️‼️‼️
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Neither, spend the money on a 2016 TCR. The evolution of the product and stiff, light, strong, fast, cheaper.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    If you're averaging 35-38km/h solo over a 'decent distance' after only 5 months, I'd contact Sky and see if they'll have you.

Then you'll get a Pinarello F8 for free!
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    Neither, spend the money on a 2016 TCR. The evolution of the product and stiff, light, strong, fast, cheaper.

I quote!
  • Shorty9
    If you're averaging 35-38km/h solo over a 'decent distance' after only 5 months, I'd contact Sky and see if they'll have you.

Then you'll get a Pinarello F8 for free!

Ok, sorry all, overplaying my ability! Average 35-36 over 16km ride to work. Did 60km this morning on old aluminium bike and averaged 33.2, so sorry not that good actually.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's your aluminium bike and what are its measurements? If they are the same as the S-Works then go for that.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Are these 16 and 60 km solely on a negative gradient?
  • Shorty9
    jdee84 wrote:
    Are these 16 and 60 km solely on a negative gradient?

Out and back so evens it up I think...
  • Shorty9
    coriordan wrote:
    What's your aluminium bike and what are its measurements? If they are the same as the S-Works then go for that.

Thanks, yeah that's the one I'm going for