Q Ring FD Setup problem

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hi all, need some assistance.

I got some Q Rings through from Saddle back the other week as part of a warranty replacement. All setup OK on my PX Pro Carbon, but have a problem with my best bike.

It's a BMC GF01 running Di2 6870. I've moved the FD up to the top of the braze bracket, but it looks like even that is going to be quite a lot short of being able to run.

Has anyone else had an issue like this at all please? Or is there anything I can do to help move the FD up the seatpost? Thanks in advance, pics below

26830668294_5d9a59bc0e_z.jpg

27439756205_f587cb1352_z.jpg
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• brettjmcc
    Sorry, I forgot to add. Previously the FD had been setup with a Rotor Power unit on 5700 53/39 rings 130 BCD with no problem.

The new unit is a 110 and running 53/39 Q rings
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you're at the top of the available height with the FD, you're a bit stuffed without going through the hassle of fitting a new braze on mount or going down the route of a fitting a band on mount. Even though the Q ring is 53 tooth, at it's elongated section it's going to be more like 55/56 so will need the FD raising.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • brettjmcc
    There is a solution :)

Rotor do a Front Derailleur extension kit. Apparently this comes with QXL rings as standard, but an extra if you just have Q Rings. I must have one of those frames.

Received today, but won't have a chance to test ride until tomorrow. Seems to shift ok on the stand

27509710966_455c19c62b_c.jpg
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • StillGoing
    That looks like it is merely pushing the derailleur rearwards rather than raising it? It'll be interesting what flex there is on the derailleur.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    All this for chainrings that make zero difference..................... :)
  • StillGoing
    trailflow wrote:
    All this for chainrings that make zero difference..................... :)

I notre the smiley, but they do make a difference for some, including me. Would I buy more once the current ones are beyond use? I doubt it. Not because I think they're a fad, but because they're bloody expensive.
  • bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    Glad I found this post. Have had the exact same issue on my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 running Di2 6870.

Had no clearance at all at the top of the ring.

Part ordered. Like to know how you got on.

Also the rings have a definite difference on pedalling and I'm also lower effort for same power.