Campagnolo Zonda or Royal Fusee SLX23 wheels for everyday use?

gcolby1
gcolby1 Posts: 8
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello fine cycling enthusiasts and experts!

I have a 2014 Cervelo S2 105 I'm selling. I bought and still have new Campy Zondas for it.
I'm buying today a 2013 Specialized Tarmac Pro with Royal Fusees on it.

What happened: my 2003 Allez Elite 'gym and pub with wife' bike was stolen, in front of the gym cable locked. I miss it. I rode the S2 in a triathlon last summer. The aero frame catches the wind a bit here in Venice and I don't like it for non-racing cruising all around I guess.

Yes, many lines of questioning could be made already. But I'm going in the above direction.

On paper, the Zondas are lighter. But the Royals are more $. Is either considered by 'experts' a significantly better wheel?

I will sell the S2 with whichever wheelset I think is a little worse.
Of course I'm going to try both before I settle on which one to keep.

Just thought I could solicit some hopefully informed input to help my decision if it's close.

Thanks! Colby

p.s. With aerobars and in the future aero wheels the Tarmac will probably race close to the speed of the S2 for me cause I currently won't be rolling much over 20-21 mph on average. On Letsrun.com they would call my 5k mile time of 21 minutes a hobby jogger. Sorry for the disclosure and if this contributes to any disappointment to you. Haha. I'm probably the guy in your age group a few rows down that you can feel good you dropped on the bike.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Roval, not Royal
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Never mind that.

You live in Venice?! Wow!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Daniel B wrote:
    Never mind that.

You live in Venice?! Wow!

Venice is sinking. The cause is the weight of all the money visitors leave behind.