Is this spoke broken?

rosscomac7
rosscomac7 Posts: 15
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!

I was on a fairly bumpy track on my bike a few weeks back with a huge backpack for a few nights wild camping on my back and seem to have broken a spoke on the rear wheel. This has never happened to me before on cheaper bikes on rougher terrain so a bit annoyed it's happened now. It's a Scott Scale 960 not that I imagine it matters. I can't imagine the extra 10-15kg in weight would have caused this as I'm only around 11st myself anyway.

Anyway, it seems to have broken at the very tip as there is still a small amount of thread there but not a lot. It looks like it has snapped off some of the thread inside the nipple but that's just my guess seeing as I have never experienced this before or ever looked twice at a spoke myself.

I have bought a spoke wrench to try tighten it back in but it doesn't seem to grip it as if there isn't enough thread left.

bfj1uH9.jpg

kDvPcgX.jpg

Can anyone advise me what they think and whether I need a new spoke and nipple or I'm just being inept.

Cheers! 8)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New spoke and nipple.

You almost certainly had corrosion causing a sharp edge stress raiser leading to failure.

Unfortunately in my experience you'll now get a load more, I kept a wheel going for about another 1000 miles and and 12 spokes before I gave in to the inevitable and bought a new wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There would be more thread than that on the spoke when new so I suspect you're right and it's broken. And I suspect the remains of the threaded part are still in the nipple so you'll need a new spoke and a new nipple. Take the old ones out and measure them so you have an idea what sizes you're shopping for
  • rosscomac7
    Urghh seriously? What do you mean by corrosion?

It's a 5 month old bike which has been kept in immaculate condition and barely ridden on anything hard or many miles at all. Already had an issue with the fork valve when I got it which I had to replace myself, this is very poor show.

I abused my old cheaper GT bike for about 7 or 8 years and never had this happen.

Thanks for your help though! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it was that new then probably a manufacturing defect, as its within 6 months take it back to the supplying shop and ask for a repair, if they get arsey mention the consumer rights act, any failure in the first 6 months is deemed to be a fault when sold unless they can prove otherwise -which it wouldn't be worth them doing for a £1.50 spoke.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rosscomac7
    Thanks for your help everyone. I have got a few replacement nipples and spokes now and will fit them tonight along with a few tools needed. :)

I would have taken it back as you suggested Rookie but the bike is an insurance replacement after my last one was stolen and it was delivered to me rather than picked up in a store, etc so it would be such a hassle to have them deal with it. Maybe I will send them a bill for the parts and tools though!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's just one of those annoying things. I've broken several spokes.
    Just take it back to the shop and politely ask them to sort it. Don't get arsey with them or they'll get defensive and be more awkward.