Mavic D521 Rims how long can I go?

Klang180
Klang180 Posts: 22
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
HEllo

Long time since i made a post. Basically I have an old 2000 GT Arrowhead with the same wheels and rims as from new, Mavic D521 on XT hubs. I noticed quite recently that the rim on the rear wheel has quite a sharp groove in the rim indicating some serious wear. I think in the past this has been due to going right down to the metal of brake blocks not to mention the fact I have had this bike for 16years. I haven't ridden it massively in that time but after 16 years of semi-regular riding I can appreciate the rim might be worn through.

My question is how dangerous is this? I am looking for a replacement rim on ebay and will get one soon but in the meantime is it too unsafe to ride the bike? What is the likely outcome of this worn rim if i were to take it out on a long (road based) ride and it failed? I have been riding it like this for many months/years it seems without worry about it but having noticed it now I am scared stiff that it will blowout at 20mph causing some serious face planting.

Anyone got any experience of rim failure, riding a worn rim or even Mavic D521s? My understanding is that these wheels are very strong and certainly they have proven to be the case so far but am i pushing it just a little too much?

Might not matter but here are some more details in case it can be factored in?

Rider weight 87kg
Continental SPort contact II 1.6" tyres
Inflated to around 60PSI
Used on road and loose gravel.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it fails it can be catastrophic, the tyre pressure pushes the broken part of the rim out and that can catch the brakes or frame.
    Mavic rims usually have a wear indicator in the braking surface once the surrounding metal has worn away until that disappears its really time to change the frame, using disc brake rims means you won't have that wear indicator.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    If it fails it can be catastrophic, the tyre pressure pushes the broken part of the rim out and that can catch the brakes or frame.
    Mavic rims usually have a wear indicator in the braking surface once the surrounding metal has worn away until that disappears its really time to change the frame, using disc brake rims means you won't have that wear indicator.

The d521's were tough downhill rims. But even then if you are concerned just replace them.
  • The Rookie
    They were, but there is a chunk of the downhill rim no longer there, without wear indicators it's impossible to know how much is left!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    They were, but there is a chunk of the downhill rim no longer there, without wear indicators it's impossible to know how much is left!

:shock: , you just know what will happen at the worst time !
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    521s didn't have wear indicators.

Measure how much it's worn. Just put a flat edge on the braking surface in the first instance and eyeball it.

They'll take a lot more than you may think, but failure can be very unpleasant indeed.
  • Klang180
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback. It is pretty obvious it has a big indent along the rim. They are super strong rims but you're all right in that should er on the side of caution. Guess that ride tomorrow is off.
  • Klang180
    njee20 wrote:

Measure how much it's worn. Just put a flat edge on the braking surface in the first instance and eyeball it.

They'll take a lot more than you may think, but failure can be very unpleasant indeed.

I can feel a fairly deep indent which I think is caused by brake block metal a while ago. I don't need to put a flat edge up against it to know it's heavily indented.
  • Klang180
    Klang180 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

I can feel a fairly deep indent which I think is caused by brake block metal a while ago. I don't need to put a flat edge up against it to know it's heavily indented.

Looking at them again it is as if they do have a wear indicator such is the damage done by old brake blocks with the metal showing. That doesn't sound good does it.
  • The Rookie
    No!