Old Raleigh Winner to Cruiser/town bike

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
edited September 2016 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi, I have an old Raleigh Winner road bike gathering dust in the garage. It's in pretty bad nick and I've stripped it and started removing the paint. I'm thinking of building it as a Single Speed upright cruiser or town bike. I'd like an upright comfortable bike with swept back riser bars something like Nitto Promenades or the Northroad type bars. I'm thinking brooks saddle, nice paint job, minimalist look.
Will this type of frame geometry work for this idea?
I don't want to do a load of work and find its not workable.

Finally, does anyone know where to buy a replacement set of BB cups? I had to cut away one of the original ones and I can't find a replacement in 71mm width, 26tpi.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes - it will work. It'll probably handle like a shed with swept backs but it will work. Remember if you go swept back then you'll need extra long cables.

Stick some normal flats on for a better handling looking bike.

No idea re b/b cups though - sorry. Somewhere like JE Jmes of SJS Cycles who deal in old stuff may be able to help. Or ebay.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Donie75
    Donie75 Posts: 92
    Thanks Matthew,
    I have a good collection of bikes. I have a cheap hybrid, an old Legnano racer, a winter bike, a good carbon and an mtb. I fancy an upright single speed but I don't really want to be hunched forward with a flat bar. I'm going to try the swept back bars and see how it works.
    Thanks!
  • Hi there

I used to have one of these (until I ruined the head tube by forcing in a headset race that was too big...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6ky9tijvzxra ... 7.jpg?dl=0

I set it up as a fixie, at one point with Belleri Porteur bars and reverse brake levers - rode very well as far as I recall. I'm pretty sure I kept the bottom bracket cups, bearings and axle - you're welcome to them for the price of postage.