What kind of bags or packs do you guys usually take when biking?

Kiki001
Kiki001 Posts: 29
edited June 2016 in MTB general
I got several bags and packs in my wish list but cannot decide which to buy. I usually go out for short cycling.

1. fanny pack
right size around my waist, many items could be put in
wondering whether it will discomfort my biking
a55f9ab0634defb833db31669fe7fc9a.jpg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G8STBY8

2. small waist pack
small, portable, not influence my riding but little space
eb7c762cee28fcc918f64d9aacd6af99.jpg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019GIKPS8

3. hydration bladder pack
with a hydration bladder, no need to take a water bottle with me
seem that it's with breathable back
cfd25357ce2c81438e8baebf9016769b.jpg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EL4IX0Y

Could you guys give me some suggestion? :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Camelbak type.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Hydrapak. Good quality and the removal bladder is excellent.

Much prefer to have pack on my back as allows ease of movement on the bike. Not sure where I'd put the fanny pack, don't have one of my own.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hydration pack, Crane (Aldi) for shorter rides, a larger one from Mountain Wharehouse for longer ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    a 2 litre deuter hydration bag and usually a small saddle bag to put tools, spare inner tube in. my pump wont fit in so goes in my back pack.

I've also a vaude trail light bag that has space for hydration bladder, tools, pump etc. It even has a clip on helmet carrying cover, I used this one when was in peak district a few weeks ago.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For short rides I wouldn't bother. Just take a water bottle. Tape a spare tube to the seatpost. CO2 inflator in a pocket and a small multi tool, you can get one which attaches to a specific bottle cage and a Specialized chain tool which fits in the steerer tube, under the stem cap.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Until this week I had just been taking a standard backpack, I've now got an Osprey Hydration pack and it's amazing! Not sure how I managed without one for so long!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The old 'fanny packs' are making a comeback and I get it, riding without a pack is 10x better than with one but at the same time for the long rides you need extra water and so forth.

I'll be investing in a Camelbak Palos or similar to give them a try.
  • Kiki001
    cooldad wrote:
    Camelbak type.

Which model of Camelbak do you recommend?
  • Kiki001
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Hydrapak. Good quality and the removal bladder is excellent.

Much prefer to have pack on my back as allows ease of movement on the bike. Not sure where I'd put the fanny pack, don't have one of my own.

Thanks for your recommendation. They look nice. :D
  • Kiki001
    The Rookie wrote:
    Hydration pack, Crane (Aldi) for shorter rides, a larger one from Mountain Wharehouse for longer ones.

Seem you all recommend hydration pack. :)
  • Kiki001
    swod1 wrote:
    a 2 litre deuter hydration bag and usually a small saddle bag to put tools, spare inner tube in. my pump wont fit in so goes in my back pack.

I've also a vaude trail light bag that has space for hydration bladder, tools, pump etc. It even has a clip on helmet carrying cover, I used this one when was in peak district a few weeks ago.

Sounds good. What brand of the light bag?
  • Kiki001
    Briggo wrote:
    The old 'fanny packs' are making a comeback and I get it, riding without a pack is 10x better than with one but at the same time for the long rides you need extra water and so forth.

Can you recommend some fanny packs?
  • Kiki001
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    Until this week I had just been taking a standard backpack, I've now got an Osprey Hydration pack and it's amazing! Not sure how I managed without one for so long!

Thanks for sharing.
  • Kiki001
    For short rides I wouldn't bother. Just take a water bottle. Tape a spare tube to the seatpost. CO2 inflator in a pocket and a small multi tool, you can get one which attaches to a specific bottle cage and a Specialized chain tool which fits in the steerer tube, under the stem cap.

You are right. Maybe a cage holder on the bike for water bottle is okay. I find this cage holder a good bargain.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019PSDBDA
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Kiki001 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Can you recommend some fanny packs?

If you read what I said, I don't have one - I said I'll be investing in one, perhaps a Camelbak Palos. I don't know at the moment.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I've got a hydrapak backpack - the bladder is really easy to clean as you can turn it inside out.
    Regardless of how long the ride is I always take my pack - can't be bothered with swapping tools/spares etc. out for short rides. I'd probably forget to put something back in after I'd taken it out.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I don't bother with a bag at all. Stuff in pockets. Bottle on bike. Additional one in second cage/back pocket if necessary.

Only a problem on long rides if you're not passing somewhere to refill with water. Not been an issue for me.
  • The Rookie
    Went through 5 litres on a ride this weekend....carried 3l at the start and topped up with two more at the half way point
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    Cheap hydration pack, but usually with the bladder out and just for carrying tools, pump, tubes, wallet and keys because they'll fall out of my pockets. Water bottle on the bike and if it's a really long ride I'll take the bladder to refill the bottle.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Bumbag for me, I've got a cheap tresspass or something bumbag that has taken over full time from a Shimano 10l Unzen bag.

I normally just keep an emergency gel and a tube in there, pump is attached to the frame.

I've just ordered a new bike though without a proper bottle cage mount, so I'm not sure what the plan will be for water will be...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    Rides less than an hour I don't carry a pack on my person. A £5 under saddle bag from aldi has all the tools I need a puncture repair kit and spare tube and I have a pump attached to the frame.

Anything longer and I just throw on a normal backpack. Keep a drink bottle in the side mesh pocket with a bigger bottle in the main pocket for refills.

A camelbak style bag would probably be easier, but I'm tight as a ducks ass when it comes to things like that.
  • njee20
    The Rookie wrote:
    Went through 5 litres on a ride this weekend....carried 3l at the start and topped up with two more at the half way point

You drink a lot more than me. I only just drunk that much doing the South Downs Way in the height of summer.

Edit: you did an 85 mile ride in India. That's not really typical of what most people do.
  • The Rookie
    True, but even on HONC this year (and it was chilly) I went through 2.5 litres and was still getting cramps occasionally.

I'll usually drink about a litre for a 16-20 mile local XC ride.
  • njee20
    That is quite a lot, but that's about 1.5 bottles. I know I can top up midway through a ride, so would use a bottle or just carry two. YMMV.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I always use my small Gelert backpack with a 3l bladder. Plenty of room for all the bits needed for short or long rides. I take less water on shorter rides, obviously.
    Many happy trails!
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I use a 10ltr Camelbak Charge with a 2ltr bladder. Very comfy and fits everything I need. Once it's on I don't even notice it.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive