Bike feels oddly off balance

stevekoz
stevekoz Posts: 103
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey All,

So, own a Lapierre Zesty 314. All completely standard and been riding fine up till recently.

Recently started to feel very off balance at the front, like its weighted to one side - if any of you drive, imagine your tracking was off and one wheel felt heavier than the other. This is kind of how the bike feels, like its heavier on one side and pulling that way.

The wheel is true, no wobble, handlebars are secure, headset has been rebuilt and is tightened, steering is smooth, there is a squeak from the front wheel which is likely bearings - but i've had bearings go before in the wheel and its never felt like it was weighted to one side of the other. It's such an odd feeling. Had a mate ride it and he said it felt "skittish" at the front and when you are riding hard that is how it feels - like it will lean too far one way or the other cus its off balance - its the only way i can describe.

Has anyone had or felt anything similar and if so what was the rootcause as i have tried, rebuilding headset, regreasing bearings in headset, changing position of bars in terms of sweep forwards and backwards, rebound on shock, air pressure in forks, air pressure in tires, but regardless of what i do it feels the same.

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Forgive me if I'm spouting sh*te, I've had a drink.....i noticed a similar phenomena on my motorcycle, I worked out I was sitting to one side on the saddle; are you on the centre of the saddle?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • stevekoz
    its a good point i haven't checked saddle but i think its aligned. I will go check.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only bike I had which felt like that had a twisted frame so the two wheels weren't inline when viewed along the bike, one tilted one way the other the other way, on an FS that could be caused by an issue with a rear pivot of course allowing the rear triangle to twist.

As its a crackiere, I'd also look for a crack.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I'd be checking the springs/damping in the forks maybe?
  • The Rookie
    Err....why?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The Rookie wrote:
    Err....why?

Agree but maybe check that the seals on the stanchions are both intact.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • stevekoz
    The Rookie wrote:
    The only bike I had which felt like that had a twisted frame so the two wheels weren't inline when viewed along the bike, one tilted one way the other the other way, on an FS that could be caused by an issue with a rear pivot of course allowing the rear triangle to twist.

As its a crackiere, I'd also look for a crack.......

Thats a worry - because i have noted during trying to find out what this is, that the front tyre always seems out of line with the bars, so it feels and looks like my bars are off centre. I keep adjusting the bars thinking its my eyes but i get back on and they still feel off centre. Does that sound like it could be a twisted frame??
  • The Rookie
    Its not impossible for sure, a bent (or otherwise not straight) frame means that the tyre contact patches are not in line with the frame you end up cycling with the bike at a slight angle and having to counter steer so you make progress in a straight line rather than in a perpetual curve.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    The Rookie wrote:
    Err....why?

Slack suspension on one side can give s similar feel to a bent frame, and be more 'upsetting' as the suspension is depressed (and eases). Possibly not the cause, but it can be, and is often overlooked.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Is the tyre ok? I had a tyre start to split at the bead and it made the bike feel weird till I sussed it out.
  • The Rookie
    SME wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Err....why?

Slack suspension on one side can give s similar feel to a bent frame, and be more 'upsetting' as the suspension is depressed (and eases). Possibly not the cause, but it can be, and is often overlooked.
    Does that completely ignore the fa t that one side of the forks (99% of cases) is a spring and the other side a damper so they have totally different forces each side by design?
  • An over tightened headset can do this.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some frames come out of the factory bent, especially common with Intense frames.
    Check the fork lowers, especially around the arch. I've seen a few crack in relatively minor impacts. Steering really turns to crap with a cracked arch.
  • stevekoz
    Hi All,

Was simple fix of a new headset in the end, too much play in the bearings. Sorted in 30 minutes and feels tight as anything now. Cheers