Which Carrera Hybrid

djfearny
djfearny Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in Commuting general
Hello.

I am looking at getting a Carrera Hybrid as Halfords currently have a 10% offer. Both the Crossfire 3 and Subway 2 are about £300.

Which would you go for. Its mainly for road and a few bridleways. I just want something easy and comfortable and will accommodate a pannier rack for my childs seat from time to time.

Thank in advance

Mike

Comments

• I have a Subway One, which cost me £230 and I've fitted Marathon + tyres, a rack, panniers, and SKS beavertail mudguards to it. I use it for the short work commute (a part train journey, so 7 miles each way), and for journeys with my wife (including 30 mile trips up Loch Lomond) and it's never let me down. The Subway Two adds a few things - hydraulic brakes, more gears (not really needed) and a lighter fork. Personally I don't think it's worth £90 more.

The Crossfire is pretty much the same bike as the One with a suspension fork, which, depending on how rough the terrain is, you may not need. I'd avoid unless you really need the extra comfort.

Finally, if they're doing a deal on the Voodoo Marasa, that's definitely worth considering too.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • djfearny
    Thanks for ur reply. I think I'm leaning towards the subway 1 or 2. The voodoo is 15 more at 315. Would u go with that over both. Are the components much better. It won't get much hammer to be fair but woukd like it to last a good few years.

Thanks.
  • If it was me I'd do one of two things:

1) Buy the Subway One and spend the money saved on kit - better tyres, a rack, pannier, mudguards, etc. At the moment Halfords are showing it for £240, so that's £216 if you get 10% more off, giving you £85 or so for stuff.

2) If I was going for something a bit better I'd jump straight to the Marasa over the Two because it has 700c wheels which gives it a much better choice of tyres, and it's a bit lighter.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • djfearny
    Thank you.

I think the voodoo is going to get my money. I like the idea of the hydronic brakes and wheels.

A few quid extra seems well worth it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Marasa is very good value and I'd certainly take it over the rather agricultural (if fairly bomb proof) Subway.

The stock tyres are a bit heavy and give a rather 'leaden' ride, but a change to something sprightlier transforms it, I know two very happy owners of the previous generation Marasa.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.