"Centreing" HY/Rd's

comsense
comsense Posts: 245
edited June 2016 in Workshop
This has me at the end of my tether.

I've followed the official instructions and searched forums to no avail. No matter how careful I am I cannot centre my Hy/Rd's. No messing - I've followed the instructions to the letter to no avail.

Anyone find this difficult? Anyone got any helpful hints? I spent well over an hour on just one front one last night and finished with it no better than when I started. My brakes work, No rub. But they'd work better if it was set up correctly.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Post mount?

Sometimes the caliper doesn't want to sit centered because the mounts are not flat..
    left the forum March 2023
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not used those before but generally it works best if you do it by eye rather than the undo calliper bolts, pull on brake, do up bolts, let go of brake approach. Also when doing up the calliper bolts keep a tight hold as they will move as the screw tightens if not.

Sometimes the Pistons don't retract properly or get a little stuck, gently wiggling a flat screw driver between the pads with the wheel out sorts this out , just be very careful as little or no force is needed.
  • comsense
    Post mount?

Sometimes the caliper doesn't want to sit centered because the mounts are not flat..
    I'm inclined to believe this may be the problem as it shifts as I tighten - no amount of holding will keep it right. BUT it moves either side not the same each time.
    Kajjal wrote:
    Not used those before but generally it works best if you do it by eye rather than the undo calliper bolts, pull on brake, do up bolts, let go of brake approach. Also when doing up the calliper bolts keep a tight hold as they will move as the screw tightens if not.

Sometimes the Pistons don't retract properly or get a little stuck, gently wiggling a flat screw driver between the pads with the wheel out sorts this out , just be very careful as little or no force is needed.
    Thanks for reply, definitely retracting. Believe me, I've tried the "by Eye" approach but I cannot hold the caliper tight enough, it moves slightly each time
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    comsense wrote:
    Post mount?

I'm inclined to believe this may be the problem as it shifts as I tighten - no amount of holding will keep it right. BUT it moves either side not the same each time.
    e

Yeah, unfortunately post mounts are crap... another "upgrade" of the industry that creates more problems than it solves
    left the forum March 2023
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I use the pull brake with caliper mount loosened method - but I use a thick/wide cable tie to hold the brake lever in (so I have both hands free to deal with the calipers) - so far so good (for me).
  • comsense
    I use the pull brake with caliper mount loosened method - but I use a thick/wide cable tie to hold the brake lever in (so I have both hands free to deal with the calipers) - so far so good (for me).

That is a BILLIANT IDEA.
    I manged to get it almost perfect last night but I am going to give this a go because it sounds just what I need - even getting someone to hold the brake lever should be a big difference.

Edit, just tried it with someone holding the lever after releasing the bolts. Locked down whilst holding it in place myself and at long last it looks right.

Many thanks
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Good luck - I'm about to sell the idea to GCN as a hack :D