Anything good in the TdF guide guff?

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited June 2016 in Pro race
excuse the laziness..
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Excuse mine.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The usual stuff

C+P

Inside your souvenir pack you'll find a huge 228-page official programme packed with profiles of every team, stats for every rider, maps of every stage, interviews with the stars, expert analysis* and a whole lot more.

In addition to the official programme, the souvenir pack also contains:
    •A giant wall chart for filling in the stage winner and jersey holders after each day’s racing
    •The Cycling Anthology Extracts featuring stories from the Tour
    •The official full-size fold-out route map
    •3 deluxe art cards featuring classic images from previous tours

Yours for a tenner. Pretty decent value and the official programme is good enough quality to keep on the bookshelf.

(*Expert analysis usually consists of Hinault stating that each team's only option is to attack.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    Part of the pre Tour ritual for me.

Can I just clarify the 'proper' one is the one published by Immediate Media?

(I'd guess the resounding answer on this site would be "Yes" but still)
  • josame
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Excuse mine.

typical newbie comment
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame
    RichN95 wrote:
    The usual stuff
    C+P..

Thanking you

I hear there is a free bottle in one guide
  • RichN95.
    josame wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The usual stuff
    C+P..

Thanking you

That's usually a deal if you buy it in certain shops - specifically WH Smith. They often chuck in a bidon and a couple of gels.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The usual stuff
    C+P..

Thanking you

That's usually a deal if you buy it in certain shops - specifically WH Smith. They often chuck in a bidon and a couple of gels.

You also get a Dairy Milk for just £1 at WHSmith. As well as a pile of leaflets
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    josame wrote:
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Excuse mine.

typical newbie comment

Well it made me chuckle Gethinceri
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Thank you, that was the intent.
    "Newbie" was an interesting reference, wonder what qualifies me for it.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    I missed the Giro version this year, I watch it on catch-up and a check of stage profiles during my watching of the recording would invariably lead to a spoiler for result. A good accompaniment to the race. The extra tat I could do without and it's a shame they've ditched the DVD this past few years.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Has anyone got the cycling weekly version. Only one they have in my local PO so thinking about grabbing it but can't have a flick thro as to sealed.
  • argyllflyer
    best thing about the official Tour one (for me) is the squad lists, in way more detail than any other annual publication. You also get route maps for each stage and profiles.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    best thing about the official Tour one (for me) is the squad lists, in way more detail than any other annual publication. You also get route maps for each stage and profiles.

Yeah, but in the same way as the squads in panini sticker albums are always wrong, you end up knowing shed loads about riders not in the race.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The_Boy wrote:

Yeah, but in the same way as the squads in panini sticker albums are always wrong, you end up knowing shed loads about riders not in the race.

Ahhhh.. Panini.
    Here you go, I reckon Astana might be in with a chance...

IMG_5974.JPG
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    cycling panini albums are a thing in Belgium? that has amused me and pleased me in equal measures.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The_Boy wrote:
    cycling panini albums are a thing in Belgium? that has amused me and pleased me in equal measures.

I'm led to believe they died, were resurrected and then died again. I'd love it if they still existed, not that I'd be interested in one, just the idea that they exist somewhere, with kids trading Chris Froome for the ultra rare Zubeldia.... :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    Here's a blog about the 2010 edition: http://fsaatg.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/pa ... -2010.html
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Here's a blog about the 2010 edition: http://fsaatg.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/pa ... -2010.html
    Brilliant!

I haven't bought a TdF guide for a few years - I'm not sure there's much in there that's not in roadbook.
  • argyllflyer
    The_Boy wrote:

They give full squad listings so covers all eventualities surely?

Here's Lotto's from 2015 edition:

2eb5s00.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Just picked up a copy and a bit disappointed. The maps, which is the bit which is useful for me, are rather small. Not anywhere near as big as they have been in previous years.