Any Wind turbine technicians out there?

josehernandez
josehernandez Posts: 243
edited June 2016 in The bottom bracket
I have just been accepted on a Wind turbine technician course at a local college. The job really appeals to me but I have no qualifications and little experience of Maths or Physics. Is there anyone on here that knows whether a background in Maths & Physics is essential or is it something I could pick up as the course progresses?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Bottom Bracket is probably not the best place to post about this.
    There'll be plenty of wind, just not the kind you want.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    The answer my friend is....
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    edited June 2016
    Wind is the only thing that gets faster going uphill, unlike the people here.

These are great free online courses, this one is:

The aim of this free online course is to introduce you to some of the physics and maths that engineers find useful. The content comprises: parts of A-level maths and further maths (mechanics); the physical laws which this maths is used to model; and examples of how these skills are employed in mechanical, aerospace, civil, environmental, materials and electrical engineering.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/cracking-mechanics
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    typically 'technician' means it's about practical skills/knowledge to install/monitor/fix something, which can still be highly-skilled/complex tasks, but don't need the level of maths/physics theoretical knowledge that design/engineering would

best thing would be to contact the college and discuss it - if the course is supposed to teach 'everything' necessary for the job, then as long as you meet course prerequisites i'd think you'd be ok
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I built one. It's in my garden and has been running since 2007.

The mathematics behind wind turbine isn't too bad too understand for the basics, but I'll bet it gets complex at higher levels of modelling when differentiation comes in. The physics too is ok. Most of it is just common sense with numbers attached, with a few little surprises thrown in.

The older I get, the better I was.

• team47b wrote:
    Wind is the only thing that gets faster going uphill, unlike the people here.

These are great free online courses, this one is:

The aim of this free online course is to introduce you to some of the physics and maths that engineers find useful. The content comprises: parts of A-level maths and further maths (mechanics); the physical laws which this maths is used to model; and examples of how these skills are employed in mechanical, aerospace, civil, environmental, materials and electrical engineering.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/cracking-mechanics

Thanks team47b!