Narrowed it down...

dannydandan
dannydandan Posts: 9
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Ok, I'm back after doing some more research and having tested several other bikes. I finally realized that since I'm looking for a comfortable ride I should probably be looking at Endurance bikes, which I did.
Just to recap from a previous post - I'm a recreational rider, looking to go on 2-4 hour rides during the weekend and mostly for exercise and weight loss.
Anyhow, I narrowed it down to these 3:
1. Trek Domane 2.3
2. Trek Domane 4.3
3. Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105

Thoughts / suggestions?
Also, I'm wondering if the price difference ($600) between the Domane 2.3 and 4.3 is worth it? The only difference seems to be the carbon frame. Second question, is the carbon material on the Domane 4.3 on-par with Cannondale's? Reason I ask is it seems to be Trek's "lower-end" carbon material.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    The difference of money between trek Domane 2.3 and Domane 4.3 worth it.

I have not tried this three bikes but the Cannondale Synapse is famous to be a very comfortable bike and you can find many review on web.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I can't talk about whether the Domane is any better or worse than the Synapse Carbon because I have never ridden one but I can talk about the Synapse Carbon as I have actually got one (see: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154). Although mine is the Ultegra version, all the reports that I have seen about 105 as a groupset are very positive and indicate that it is not a million miles away from Ultegra when it comes to performance. IMHO the Synapse Carbon is a fantastic bike which is very comfortable over the sort of distances that I do (up to 70 miles at a weekend and 20 or so most days). In summary, I would recommend it without hesitation.

Just to confuse you, somebody will be along in a minute to be equally as effusive about the Domane or, indeed, another make entirely.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I can't talk about whether the Domane is any better or worse than the Synapse Carbon because I have never ridden one but I can talk about the Synapse Carbon as I have actually got one (see: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154). Although mine is the Ultegra version, all the reports that I have seen about 105 as a groupset are very positive and indicate that it is not a million miles away from Ultegra when it comes to performance. IMHO the Synapse Carbon is a fantastic bike which is very comfortable over the sort of distances that I do (up to 70 miles at a weekend and 20 or so most days). In summary, I would recommend it without hesitation.

Just to confuse you, somebody will be along in a minute to be equally as effusive about the Domane or, indeed, another make entirely.

to have the fedback directly by a holder is a great help.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I can't talk about whether the Domane is any better or worse than the Synapse Carbon because I have never ridden one but I can talk about the Synapse Carbon as I have actually got one (see: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154). Although mine is the Ultegra version, all the reports that I have seen about 105 as a groupset are very positive and indicate that it is not a million miles away from Ultegra when it comes to performance. IMHO the Synapse Carbon is a fantastic bike which is very comfortable over the sort of distances that I do (up to 70 miles at a weekend and 20 or so most other days). In summary, I would recommend it without hesitation.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • mcxfisher
    mcxfisher Posts: 39
    Having covered 30 miles on each of the Trek and Cannondale on test rides before buying one, I offer the following thoughts.

The upgrade between the 2 Trek models is money well spent as the carbon frame adds greatly to the ride quality. Provided that it is well set up to fit you the Trek Domane is an excellent endurance bike, but in my opinion the standard Trek H2 fit is better suited to younger and more flexible riders.

Having tested both, I bought the Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, because its posture and ride characteristics suited me better (age 66 with a problem back) and it is superbly comfortable on long rides. Yesterday I had it set up to my pro-fit dimensions and then took it straight out of the shop for a 32 mile ride across the Yorkshire Wolds with almost 2000 feet of climbing. For the first time since I started riding my legs gave out before my back and shoulders, previously the limiting factors in my endurance. The comfort is extraordinary and I am utterly delighted. I'll be doing a 75 on Tuesday without trepidation.