RS Sektor RL Gold bottom end service issue.

plugp7
plugp7 Posts: 298
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Just finished a bottom end service on my Sektor RL Gold (2014) forks, something I have done a few times on this fork and many times on other RS forks.
They are 140mm travel. On putting everything back together there is now 160mm of the stanchion showing with air in at 100psi ( my normal setting).
The fork will travel all the way through the 160mm very smoothly with no obstruction, with no air in.
So what's happening?
Before I start stripping things down, any advice on what may be the issue.

Steve
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do the forks top out? Sounds like the negative air chamber hasn't equalised with the positive.
  • plugp7
    Fork tops out fine. Made sure of that as it's a mistake I've made before.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I mean as in a clunk at full extension? If you didn't service the air spring, that is what I'd be doing now. I can't remember whether Sektors use the older solo air assembly or not, but the valve that equalises the chambers can get clogged, or in the case of older forks, the spring washer stuck. Service manuals available from SRAM though.
  • plugp7
    No the don't clunk.
    OK. I'll do that.
    What I don't get though is how I can extend the fork past 140mm. I understood that it was a mechanical limit.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    plugp7 wrote:
    What I don't get though is how I can extend the fork past 140mm. I understood that it was a mechanical limit.
    You didn't lose a spacer somewhere?

I have an all travel Reba. When you get them, they are 100 mm, but take a spacer out and they are 120 mm. The spacer is in the uppers though, not the lower legs so if you only did the lowers that's probably not the cause.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    plugp7 wrote:
    You didn't lose a spacer somewhere?

I have an all travel Reba. When you get them, they are 100 mm, but take a spacer out and they are 120 mm. The spacer is in the uppers though, not the lower legs so if you only did the lowers that's probably not the cause.

Sektor maximum travel is 140mm so not a spacer.
  • plugp7
    This was a bottom end service only. Spring and damper not touched so nothing to leave out.
    I'm stripping the air spring down tomorrow and replacing all the seals. See if that cures it.
  • plugp7
    Anyone know of a source for 10mm All-travel spacers. Only 20mm came with fork.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    10mm travel reduction will make cock all difference to anything.
    If you really want to drop the fork 10mm just offer a local machinist a couple beer tokens in return for shortening your 20mm spacer, it's a 10 minute job.
  • plugp7
    Everything cleaned and back together and travel now as it should be. Thanks Supersonic. Looks like it was the spring washer stuck.
    For info, a 10mm all-travel spacer was already fitted so the fork can be run up to 150mm travel.