Packing schwalbe tire

Savuka
Savuka Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Is there anyone out there that can suggest the best way to pack or fold a 200x20 schwalbe tire for Dahon folding bike?

I am going on an extended tour of western China and included in the backpack list is a spare tire, which has a wired outer support to fit agains the rim
Can this tire be folded an a figure 8 configuration and then folded over for smaller size with out damage?
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've done that with big tyres, but that's pretty small, I doubt it would fold enough. Don't they make folding bead in that size?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Savuka
    Cooldad Hi,

And thank you for the speedy reply. I am in China and trying to ask if they sell folded bead will be a B*all ache. I'll gander at the schwalbe site and see if I can find any info there.

Might you be kind enough and tell me what a "folded bead" is? No wire or rolled nylon cord instead of wire, maybe?

BTW..I did fold the tire to a figure 8 and it worked, my concern was damage to the side walls. Pretty damn sure it wont affect the wire band. Or? Your take please?
  • cooldad
    If the bead gets kinked the tyre will be screwed.
    Folding tyres have kevlar beads not steel.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some wire beads are thinner than others and will take a figure 8 fold, others won't, if you bend the wire bead you can end up with it causing punctures as the bead sticks inwards into the tube at the bend.

Not sure I've ever come across a 200wide 20" tyre?
    Schwalbe do some folders in narrower widths such as 20x1.1" - http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/road-reader/durano.html
    But no folders in 20"x2.00 or 2.15"
    Available in other brands though https://www.amazon.co.uk/KHE-Folding-Ty ... 4528467909

Or just cable tie it to the main triangle of the frame and leave it out the backpack!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Savuka
    Guys

Thanks for the input and the lead to KHE tires. Cannot find KHE in China but found KENDA 50-406/20x1.95 made in Taiwan.

On the bike at present are Schwalbe 50-406/20x2.0 tires
    (yes I made a mistake with the first post stating 200)
    My question is will the 1.95 tires work as back-up tires or is the 1.95 too narrow?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    That's effectively the same width - 5 hundreths of an inch difference. You won't notice it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Savuka
    Thank you kindly Sir. Much appreciated for your input.

Ian S