Cracked deep section rim - advice

arturo_belano
arturo_belano Posts: 65
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Have a cracked planet X 80mm rim on my hands, after casing my TT bike over a submerged pot hole. Starts from the bottom of the braking surface, through top right of P, and ends at L:

27295387992_14bd4bed8b_h.jpg

First TT wheel I've owned, so don't have a feel for the structural role of the wide rim and need some advice - if it's just a fairing I guess you could tape it or something, but if it's integral to the wheel strength then it looks pretty terminal?

I have ridden it in a couple of tens since, but would be good to know if I need to stop doing this and just spring for a new one.

Comments

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Hate to say it but the rim is cooked, the PX wheels don’t have a non-structural fairing like say a Mavic Cosmic Carbone, the rim forms part of the structure of the wheel so if it has a crack in the rim its knackered.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Agree with JesseD that the crack is structural, however I suspect you could epoxy some thin carbon fibre over the top of it and it would probably be fine, for TTs at least. At your own risk of course, or ask one of the carbon fibre repair shops for an opinion.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thanks lads - feared as much. A repair sounds worth pursuing, so will look into that.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Thanks lads - feared as much. A repair sounds worth pursuing, so will look into that.

Bin it. I had a similar experience with a submerged pothole during a heavy downpour that wrote off a Planet X CT45. I simply got a new wheel built by Mark Pollard at Spokesman Wheels via courier for a very good price.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.