Fat, middle aged, beginner training for a century ride in 2 months

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have only just seen the thread and am surprised no one suggested that he did not do it!
    How short a period would it have to be before you guys say its too short?
    How long a ride would be too long?

I would suggest a much longer and more gradual training plan personally.
    I think cycling 100 miles is an odd goal for a non cyclist.
    Your first goal should be to become a cyclist!

Does not look like he is doing it if he has not reported back in three weeks 8)
    Hope he is ok!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Carbonator wrote:
    Have only just seen the thread and am surprised no one suggested that he did not do it!
    How short a period would it have to be before you guys say its too short?
    How long a ride would be too long?

I would suggest a much longer and more gradual training plan personally.
    I think cycling 100 miles is an odd goal for a non cyclist.
    Your first goal should be to become a cyclist!

Does not look like he is doing it if he has not reported back in three weeks 8)
    Hope he is ok!

He's fine. Still going and should be finished by Sunday.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Singleton wrote:
    It starts at Broughton Castle and runs through the Cotswolds. I think it's got a few nice hills in it - with more than 7000 ft of climbing.
    A Strava friend of mine who is a good climber (in our context...) rode this last year. 6h30 elapsed, 6h moving. I rode the earlier version a couple of years ago which was only 70 odd miles, and that was hard at 6h/100m pace.

If you're not confident then I'd start off a bit more conservatively, there's nothing quite like being wrecked by half way.

Paul
  • Good morning! It's been a few weeks so I thought I'd pop in for an update.

What I've done so far:

-Improved my diet. (As I type this, I'm drinking my morning shake of banana, spinach and oats.)
    -Cut down on the beer. (I can't completely cut it out. I'm in the beer business. And I like it. And I might have a drinking problem, but there are other forums for that, I'm sure.)
    -On the advice of everyone here, I've held off on any sex with the Mrs. (Wait, that one may not have been advised, it may just be the by-product of two young kids at home.)
    -On the advice of a friend, I switched from cycling shorts to a cycling bib that offers a bit more cushion, and doesn't move around as much when I'm riding.
    -I've duct-taped my Shia LaBeouf bobblehead to my handlebars, for motivation when things look grim.
    -I've tried to get in a couple of mid-week rides on the trainer in the basement. (My schedule is clearing up, so I can increase those now.)
    -On the weekends, I've gotten in long rides of 25, 30, 40 and 50 miles. Trying to add at least 10 miles each weekend. The rides have mostly been flat, but I've introduced some small hills on the last (50 mile) ride.

What I've learned so far:

-Riding when it's over 90 degrees F. (32.2 C) sucks. A lot. On a slightly related note, heat exhaustion also sucks.
    -I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable riding. I haven't fallen over with my feet clipped in, yet. (My wife fell twice on Saturday, so I guess I win!)
    -When wearing a cycling bib, I feel like this: andre_the_giant.png
    -I actually enjoy the riding.
    -I can remove one hand from my handlebars and not crash. (But only for a few moments.)

Where I still need to learn/grow/improve:

-Shifting. I don't shift gears much. Since the path I've taken is mostly flat, it hadn't been a problem. Now that I'm introducing hills, I find that I have no idea how to figure out what gear I should be in, when to switch, etc. I think I'm going to have to find a hilly area and just spend an hour riding around, shifting gears, and figuring out what works. I would love any tips on this one from you all.
    -Bike maintenance. I still haven't changed a tube. Haven't had to, so I won't complain. But, I should probably try this sooner rather than later.

In all, I'm feeling pretty good about this. I know it's going to be hard to do 100 miles. I've run a marathon before, so I know what it's like to just keep pushing through the pain and wanting to quit. The fact that this is a charity ride, and there will be thousands of riders, volunteers, and others there to help me finish makes this still seem achievable. But, if I die, at least I will die how every man should die, wearing skin tight bibs, covered in sweat, and probably severely mangled from falling off my bike at the moment my heart gives out. Am I right?

I'll be back soon. Thanks again!

I should add, if any of you ever make it across the pond, and find yourself in Cincinnati, OH (which I'm sure is a premier destination for every international tourist) let me know. I'll buy the beer, and cook up some good southern BBQ. (I'm originally from Tennessee and Kentucky, which has much better BBQ than Ohio.)

Cheers!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Welcome back and cheers for the update.

Congratulations for reaching 50 miles!

Keep on doing what you've done and leave 5 days prior to the event clear of any cycling. Maximize your sleep and rest if possible and keep the nut tightened on the food regime.

As for the gears, this soon becomes intuitive once you start climbing hills and the idea is to spin around 90rpm. No doubt there will be someone along to correct this aspect but the correct outcome is whatever feels best for you. As your body adapts with your fitness this measure changes anyway. If you don't have a cadence meter just count how many revolutions you make with your pedals in 6 seconds and then x 10.

Let your tyre down and change the inner tube at home. Its easy and should provide another piece for your confidence. You may not need to change a tube but it's like most things, its better to be self sufficient. Don't forget if your 80 miles in, knackered and grumpy, the last thing you'll want is to test your skill set for the first time.

The rest is down to you getting miles in, building your fitness and you becoming conditioned to the heat. Ensure adequate hydration and nutrition and take it easy in those temperatures.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Let your tyre down and change the inner tube at home. Its easy and should provide another piece for your confidence. You may not need to change a tube but it's like most things, its better to be self sufficient. Don't forget if your 80 miles in, knackered and grumpy, the last thing you'll want is to test your skill set for the first time"

Sage advice. Had I not had the practice and the confidence that comes from swapping tyres and tubes many many times I'd have been marooned at the weekend. Rear tyre slashed by something in the road, loud BANG!, and suddenly I'm descending at 30mph on the rear rim. Managed a ghetto fix of the cut in the tyre involving my largest patch and a tyre boot made from the plastic coated card my spare KMC chain links came on. Enabled me to pump it up to maybe 30psi and limp very carefully and slowly the 20 miles back home.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Re the use of gears, treat your body like a car engine. When you're climbing a steep hill and the engine's struggling, you select a lower gear. Still not happy? Try the next one down, and so on. Don't be afraid to keep on changing down and spinning the pedals till you're in your lowest gear, and only then resort to standing on the pedals.
    You can save a lot of trouble by being in the smaller chainring before you start climbing, that way you won't be trying last-minute front shifts under power.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    keef66 wrote:
    Re the use of gears, treat your body like a car engine. When you're climbing a steep hill and the engine's struggling, you select a lower gear. Still not happy? Try the next one down, and so on. Don't be afraid to keep on changing down and spinning the pedals till you're in your lowest gear, and only then resort to standing on the pedals.
    You can save a lot of trouble by being in the smaller chainring before you start climbing, that way you won't be trying last-minute front shifts under power.

However, most new(er) riders will sacrifice duration of the climb, in order to whizz their legs around. If I'm out with a group that contains new(ish) riders, and we get to a climb. I tell them to try and use the biggest gear, that they can comfortably use, and stand up rather than automatically down shift. If you automatically go for the very easiest gear, and 'spin', you will never improve on the climbs, you'll find they get lazy, and if anything, begin to find climbing harder.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    keef66 wrote:

However, most new(er) riders will sacrifice duration of the climb, in order to whizz their legs around. If I'm out with a group that contains new(ish) riders, and we get to a climb. I tell them to try and use the biggest gear, that they can comfortably use, and stand up rather than automatically down shift. If you automatically go for the very easiest gear, and 'spin', you will never improve on the climbs, you'll find they get lazy, and if anything, begin to find climbing harder.
    Plus by going lower and lower they will rapidly go in to oxygen debt.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I've enjoyed reading through this, thanks for the update.

As hills are looming I'll pass on this sage climbing template I read, years ago, from a pro.

- Eat something (banana/gel etc) 10 minutes or so, before the climb.
    - Drink well while closing in of the base of the climb.
    - Sort out your breathing. Get in good lungs fulls, in through your nose, out through your mouth - no panting.
    - Next up cadence. Ride comfortably.
    Ideally on a consistent climb you need to start off already knowing 'this'll get me to the top'.
    People will say rubbish like 'always keep a gear spare in case you need it' - don't get me started!

When you're 3/4ers of the way up the climb, and know you'll crest it, then you can have some brow sprinting 'fun'.
  • Great advice!

I'm actually going to take a half day off work soon and just go work on hills for a couple of hours. The century ride in doing apparition has about 3,500 feet of climbing throughout the course. I have no idea if that's a lot of a little, so I'm going to assume it's a lot.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    CincyStout wrote:
    Great advice!

I'm actually going to take a half day off work soon and just go work on hills for a couple of hours. The century ride in doing apparition has about 3,500 feet of climbing throughout the course. I have no idea if that's a lot of a little, so I'm going to assume it's a lot.
    Spread out over 100 miles, 3,500 ft is gently rolling.
    But obviously 90 miles of flat roads and 2 climbs totaling that is a very different ride.

I can't stress how important it is to make sure you're breathing well, while climbing.
    Assuming your gears are fairly regular, chances are you'll just be pushing the front down to the smallest ring, while moving the back up to the biggest, then just leaving well alone.
    Big, deep, breathes without fiddling around with gears, drink/food, computer etc will get you up a hill in much better shape.
  • 40 miles into my 60 mile bike ride this morning, I was thinking, "This is easy. I can handle 100 miles, no problem." 55 miles into my ride, I was thinking, "Maybe some kind soul will hit me with their car, break my leg, and prevent me from having to ride 100 miles." The good Samaritan never arrived. Four more weeks of training to go.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    CincyStout wrote:
    40 miles into my 60 mile bike ride this morning, I was thinking, "This is easy. I can handle 100 miles, no problem." 55 miles into my ride, I was thinking, "Maybe some kind soul will hit me with their car, break my leg, and prevent me from having to ride 100 miles." The good Samaritan never arrived. Four more weeks of training to go.

Describe how you felt at 55 miles. You may have bonked in which case we just need to look at you refuelling
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you can get to 60 miles on your own, 100 with lots of other riders will be fine. A few more things-

-If you haven't done already, now really is the time to ditch the booze.

-As you approach the event make sure you are drinking loads of water in the few days leading up to it. This'll make sure you're properly hydrated on the day but will also help with getting rid of general crap from your body.

-Avoid red/fatty meat in the 3-4 days before the event.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • surrey_commuter
    NapoleonD wrote:
    If you can get to 60 miles on your own, 100 with lots of other riders will be fine. A few more things-

-If you haven't done already, now really is the time to ditch the booze.

-As you approach the event make sure you are drinking loads of water in the few days leading up to it. This'll make sure you're properly hydrated on the day but will also help with getting rid of general crap from your body.

-Avoid red/fatty meat in the 3-4 days before the event.

Sounds stupid but practise drinking loads of water
  • Describe how you felt at 55 miles. You may have bonked in which case we just need to look at you refuelling

I just felt tired. My legs were cramping a little, but not terribly. (I've gotten into the practice of stretching every 20 miles, which helps.)

I'm sure I need a fueling strategy. I've essentially been drinking water and/or Gatorade and eating Cliff Shot Blocks every ten miles. This is what I used to do as a runner, except it was every 45 minutes or so.

So, should I be eating actual food? (Insert "Is that a banana in your bike shorts, or are you just happy to see me?" joke here.) How much and how often should I be eating?
  • surrey_commuter
    CincyStout wrote:
    Describe how you felt at 55 miles. You may have bonked in which case we just need to look at you refuelling

I just felt tired. My legs were cramping a little, but not terribly. (I've gotten into the practice of stretching every 20 miles, which helps.)

I'm sure I need a fueling strategy. I've essentially been drinking water and/or Gatorade and eating Cliff Shot Blocks every ten miles. This is what I used to do as a runner, except it was every 45 minutes or so.

So, should I be eating actual food? (Insert "Is that a banana in your bike shorts, or are you just happy to see me?" joke here.) How much and how often should I be eating?

There are scientific answers but for me it is eating what you like. I did 100 miles on dried cranberries, jelly babies (you may need to google) 2 bananas and two bagels with jam.

If you get on alright with the Shot Blocks then add in some non-sweet stuff.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    shot bloks are fine - how many were you eating every ten miles? just one block or a whole packet?

You might want to swap the gatorade for something better, which has electrolytes in it - you need to replace these if sweating. My fave drink for long rides is High5 4:1, which has two different types of carb so that your body can take on more than if just having glucose and also has protein which helps with muscle recovery. On shorter rides you dont need the protein but I find on longer ones it can help avoid fatigue creeping in. Summer Fruits tastes good too.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    CincyStout wrote:
    40 miles into my 60 mile bike ride this morning, I was thinking, "This is easy. I can handle 100 miles, no problem." 55 miles into my ride, I was thinking, "Maybe some kind soul will hit me with their car, break my leg, and prevent me from having to ride 100 miles." The good Samaritan never arrived. Four more weeks of training to go.

A bonk, at sub 60 miles? Unless the terain was nosebleed, or the average speed was in the 20's, the chances of comfortably completing a 100, with a couple of 'hills', by the end of the month, are about zero.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Need to think about bike setup and technique too. Not having these right might be OK, possibly even not noticeable in rides up to around 40 miles but as you stretch yourself, not having these right will start to take its toll. My first 50 almost killed my quads because I was pushing too hard with low cadence in a high gear up the hills. Switching to a lower gear and spinning faster made a huge difference. And if saddle is too high or low this can have a huge effect on your leg muscles too.

Fixing setup and technique took me from 50 miles being a really hard slog to something simple that I could bang out with zero discomfort and no aches afterwards.
  • CincyStout wrote:

A bonk, at sub 60 miles? Unless the terain was nosebleed, or the average speed was in the 20's, the chances of comfortably completing a 100, with a couple of 'hills', by the end of the month, are about zero.

I wouldnt agree with that at all ..If OP can ride 40 miles with no problems then I have absolutely no doubt in my mind he can do a century.

Your fairly big boned ...you probably sweat lots.... you probably cramped up.

My advice for your century would be do look at the speed you did yesterday and knock 1mph off for the actual event. Really make an effort to take it easy for the first 50 miles. Get some salt tablets for your drinks (I love the hi 5 ones) ... but practice with them before the event to make sure your stomach likes them. Take some real food with you that you actually enjoy and ditch the bars and gels. Gels have there place but its mainly in a pro peleton or quick group ride to save weight and time ... If you can take real food then absolutely do it. It will be better for your morale and body.

Dont be afraid to take 5 minutes when stuff hurts- get off the bike and stretch properly ... a 5 minute stretching break has saved many a long ride for me. Sometimes things can get very bleak by yourself on a bike. It is important to focus on the positives particularly that you have done 40 miles rather than sit on the sofa. If you can keep your head strong and just keep peddling - bad patches will pass in a few miles- you just have to push on.

You will find things get easier as you get more efficient with gears and pedal stroke. Look at some videos on this subject as it will help you.

Last thing - what shoes are you wearing? Are you clipless .. if not then consider it because it will really help prevent cramp in your legs if you can prevent your foot flexing on the peddle.
  • Thanks for the great advice, all! I actually felt great after my 50 miles last week, so I may have been too confident going out yesterday. I definitely need to work on the fueling.

My other challenge is finding a good rhythm while riding. My pace is all over the place when I'm riding on my own. I'll be going really fast for a while then really slow. I had the same problem when I first started running distances. I don't have a good sense of what the right cadence for me is, yet.

I like the idea of checking out some videos on this. Should I just check YouTube, or is there another source that you'd recommend?

I am clipped in, and proud to say that I haven't fallen over, yet. (Though I have come close.) My chain did come off yesterday, but I was able to get it back on myself. (This probably means I'm officially an expert, and need to print myself another certificate of Awesomeness.)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Don't worry about your cadence. At all. Complete red herring. Just ride at the cadence you find comfortable at that time.
    Cadence is something used by cycling magazines just so they can fill print.
    All I'd say on the matter is if you struggle on the hills get a big cassette and a compact chainset to avoid grinding up the hill as much as you can.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • surrey_commuter
    CincyStout wrote:

You miserable git - what was the point in that post. It is a beginners thread, he is a beginner, I would say it is very easy to bonk on that distance if you are not used to it. The good news is that it is easy to advise him. I have no doubt he will succeed.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Some really great advice here guys, looks like you're well on track for your 100 miles, hope it all goes well, and if you're ever struggling just remember that it's for a great cause, that should help get you through.

I'm doing the BHF 75 mile off-road London to Brighton ride in two months so have a similar predicament with my lack of training so far, I will steal the advice you guys have provided and hopefully struggle through my ride.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    This is a fabulous thread. I've been away from cycling for a year or two but have found my mojo again, and your account is entertaining and heartening. Great advice from everybody also, which I can't improve on. I'd echo those enthusing comments that if you're managing at least half the distance on your own, you'll be fine to double it in a group. Add the drama of a planned event, and you could triple it.

Events are supposed to be epic: if it's too easy you won't remember it. Think of the stories you'll tell.

I also totally agree with NapD not to get tangled in concerns like cadence... you're an evolved endurance animal. Your body knows what to do. Just don't go out too fast.

Then- beer.
  • Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    Only just picked up this thread.....very heart warming and genuine!
    I was you probably 6 years ago. 3 stone of weight loss later I'm still loving the bike and about to embark on a 360 mile 3 day event.
    Can't really add to the advice already given. Enjoy the good rides and learn from any bad rides!
    Good luck!
  • Alsa
    Alsa Posts: 14
    Really Inspirational thread, Thanks.

As someone who hadn't been on a bike for many year - I recently decided that this was the panacea that I needed as well and have sent my sell the challenge of completing an Olympic distance Triathlon next year - so at least I have the luxury of 6+ months to prepare.

Good Luck with the 100miles! Repoart back soon.
  • Well? How did it go?

It's been three months now and no update.
    Advocate of disc brakes.