Most suitable MTB boot-mounted 3-bike cycle carrier

Barney Rubble1968
edited June 2016 in MTB general
After reading numerous reviews of rear-mounted cycle racks (including those on this web site), I plumped for the Thule Raceway 992 - solid and secure - as I don't have a towbar and am too short to easily load roof-mounted bikes.

Unfortunately, I have found it impossible to load my (Voodoo Bizango) and my boys' (Trek Marlin 6 and Trek Precalibur) bikes together on the rack in spite of adjusting seat height and turning bars 90 degrees. On closer inspection of one of the reviews, it does mention (tucked away near the bottom) that the 992 might be better suited to roadbikes which is rather frustrating. Before I lump the carrier back on Ebay, can anyone who has faced a similar problem with the 992:

(a) suggest a possible solution;
(b) suggest the next best 3-MTB, boot-mounted carrier for me to consider?

Thanks.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The best carrier depends on your combination of car and bikes. There isn't a single best carrier for all cars and bikes.
    Boot carriers are never ideal, they often don't suit a lot of full suspension frames and scratch car paintwork. Roof carriers or tow hitch carriers are loads better.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I used to have a Thule Freeway 968... Fitted my old ST with a high mounted spoiler type thingy.

Never scratched the paintwork, but then I was extra careful, putting some blade tape in places that might rub.

Took 3 MTB's no problem either. Got a Thule roof mounted setup on a different car now.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I've got the Menabo Logic 3, it's not a very known brand, but the quality is great and it works with so many different cars and frames, also it's not that expensive
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    I had a Saris Bones 3 before upgrading to my Thule roof bar setup, it was a solid carrier and could hold 3 bikes without any noticeable problems.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    I had a Saris Bones 3 before upgrading to my Thule roof bar setup, it was a solid carrier and could hold 3 bikes without any noticeable problems.

I had the Bones 3 on my old Passat. Full suspension frames were often a problem depending on shock position and I never managed to get three bikes on it securely. When I replaced the 2005 Passat with a 2008 Mondeo the Bones 3 would fit but the rear bumper was far too weak to support it and it won't go on my Jaguar XF at all due to the lack of places to attach the straps.