Which bike to buy

Ibbiz
Ibbiz Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in MTB general
I am looking to buy a new full suspension bike I like to ride local trails with a few downhills included but want to start going to llandegla and the lakes more often I have been looking at the Norco fluid or the Coyote nerve I can stretch to about £1500 pounds I am not a expert rider but not a novice either any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Giant Trance.

There is nothing I can really complain about with it, I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever and is a great bike. I moved to it from a Hardtail as well and was a bit worried about how climbing would be, but I can tell you that it honestly climbs like a hardtail, with a bit of extra traction on the rough climbs. As long as you are in the saddle, there is no suspension bob, when you stand up there is a little, but I have never felt like it took energy away from me. I also like the incredibly low stand over high, it has saved my nuts several times.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Budgeting around £1500 will put you in good stead for a mail order bike.

You could look at something like a Radon Skeen or Radon Slide, both decent well equipt bikes for the money. Then you've got Canyon with the Nerve and a fraction more would put you at a Spectral (worth it imo - I bought a Nerve but wish I'd saved the extra for the Spectral... It even comes with a dropper as standard :() There are a few other mail order bikes to explore but this is the best place to invest your money imo as bikes like the trance won't compete spec wise (not even close).
  • Ibbiz
    Ibbiz Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replays swaying towards the canyon at the moment the more I look the more I confuse myself I also looked at a mondraker factor R and a Marin on tredz as well.
  • shawny
    shawny Posts: 33
    2016 Boardman pro FS, £1500, 1x11, Rockshox Suspension looks good, anyone ridden one? 10% off with British cycling
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would also recommend the Giant Trance or Boardman.
    The Trance has by far the best frame at this price with absolutely brilliant rear suspension.
    The Boardman has a top quality build and, unlike Canyon, you know you'll get it in reasonable time.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    This threads been really interesting as I'm currently caught between the Canyon Nerve al 6.0, and the Giant Trance, with the trance, I prefer the 2015 trance 2 model as it's still £1,500 retail but comes with fox float and fox forks, as opposed to the rockshox ones on the 2016 model. Any advice on these would be great.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I've got an old Trance X5 (first year they came out) and it's still going strong, although only the frame and bars are original now.
    It's more than adequate for Llandegla and it will take much more.

I've never found the rear suspension spectacular, but it's OK.
    The bottom bracket is pretty low, and the cranks that came with it were quite wide but you get used to it.
    The shock is an odd length and were generally more expensive than the more 'standard' sizes.
    (These might've been changed on the newer models)

Mine was £1000 when I bought it - outstanding value in my opinion.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Vulva65 wrote:
    I prefer the 2015 trance 2 model as it's still £1,500 retail but comes with fox float and fox forks, as opposed to the rockshox ones on the 2016 model. Any advice on these would be great.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bi ... ifications
    Both are the rather poor Evolution (cheap) versions....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    The Rookie wrote:
    Vulva65 wrote:
    I prefer the 2015 trance 2 model as it's still £1,500 retail but comes with fox float and fox forks, as opposed to the rockshox ones on the 2016 model. Any advice on these would be great.

Thanks for the input, would you recommend the Rockshox over the fox then?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Vulva65 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Vulva65 wrote:

I've got to say, I liked the Rockshox suspension on the Trance 3 better than the fox on the Trance 2, part of the reason I got the 3. The fox felt very soggy and unsupportive whereas the RS felt fine for the price.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Vulva65 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Vulva65 wrote:

Unless its a high level Fox and either pre CTD or with the new FiT4 damper, yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.