Recommend me a brake upgrade

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Son's Canyon Nerve is looking for a brake upgrade. Currently running M395 (Acera) Shimano brakes which are OK, but he's after something a little less entry level. I can recycle the Aceras onto another bike, so suits me.

What is a decent value, but better, set for a trail / XC bike set up. Ideally less than £100 for the set of levels and calipers (he's paying!).
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Xt m785 if you can get them around 50 each/less or look at shimano slx.

There's even the deore m615 that get good reviews.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Thanks, that's where I was heading anyway. Any big deal breakers between XT / SLX or M615? XT and SLX look practically identical.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My wife's xc bike has slx brakes and they work well. I have m785 xt brakes and they need very little maintenance.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    larkim wrote:
    Thanks, that's where I was heading anyway. Any big deal breakers between XT / SLX or M615? XT and SLX look practically identical.

Just a slight difference with xt they have the reach adjustment on the levers and servo wave brake pad adjustment via a screw on the brake levers (can't say I've needed to use this ever)

I think the brake levers are slightly longer on the slx as the xt are small levers for 1/2 finger braking.

Looking around the xt brakes are about 55 each so might be worth getting the SLX brakes as you will notice a difference compared with the lower spec m395, m446 Shimano brakes.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The tool-free adjustment isn't such a big deal - you adjust the reach and bite point once and then ride it like that. It could even be a selling point that you have to get tools out of the box to change it
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er