Do I need a carbon frame?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking to move up from my Specialized Sirrus hybrid. It's alloy frame and fork, been out to test some road bikes to see which felt most comfortable and decided to try a mixture of both carbon and alloys bikes. All road much nicer than my current bike - guessing due to less weight felt like they glided over bumps instead of crashing into them,

Both types of bikes were very nice with my favourite being a Trek Domane 4 series.

But price wise am I wise to spend the extra £4-500 for a carbon frame over an alloy framed bike?

Mostly going to be doing 25-30 mile rides in the summer evenings with maybe slightly longer rides circa 40-50 miles on weekends.

Comments

• Since when has need ever been a factor in bike buying
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    No you dont but if we only had what we needed we would still be hunter gathers
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You liked the Trek Domane series 4 the best - choice is now a no brainer?
  • smmjrr
    smmjrr Posts: 45
    Hi when I bought my first bike an experienced cyclist told me to pay extra and get a carbon, he told me it would not be long before I wanted one :D I decided to go with the cheaper option, 8 months later the carbon bike arrived :D , it is eternal happiness as a friend says, and yes I prefer the carbon bike, so if you want it go for it,
  • Having recently changed from Al Secteur to C Roubaix (exactly the same geometry. group set. and wheels) it is most definitely much much nicer - is it worth £x? That depends on what £x means to you, for me, at this time in my life, while £4-500 is a lot if money I could spend that without really needing to without suffering. There were many periods in my life when that was serious serious money and I couldn't have - it's all relative. Please submit your last four years Tax returns and bank statements and I will then tell you what to do :D
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    No, you definately do not need a carbon frame.
    But, in the long run, you are much better off buying what you like and what you want.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If you have the cash go carbon - much nicer ride IME.

Be aware of other factors like bike fit, tyre choice, and frame geometry
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think the better question is "Do I WANT a carbon frame?".
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The ride is far more a function of tyre and inner tube choice and inflation plus setup of saddle and bars, than it is due to frame material. An alloy framed bike that fits you with good tyres inflated to a sensible pressure and with well set-up gears and brakes will be a joy to ride. Whereas, as carbon bike with any compromises elsewhere will fall short. The material is not the important factor. Where a frame incorporates some built in suspension features as does the Domane, the frame may play a bigger part, but that's separate to simply what material it's made from.
    Beware test-rides. They test bike setup, tyre pressure, road profile and surfaces, weather and your mood far more than they test the bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    kingrollo wrote:
    If you have the cash go carbon - much nicer ride IME.

Be aware of other factors like bike fit, tyre choice, and frame geometry

Very well put. I initially had a decent alu framed bike, but went for one that would take 25mm tyres and with a carbon fork for comfort. Rode it year round as my do it all bike.

But I'd always wondered about a carbon frame, and when the outgoing Scott CR1-SL framesets were being sold off for £500 I made an impulse purchase. (I'd actually had the CR1 on my initial shortlist because the geometry suited me, but couldn't afford it at the time)

So swapping all the components from the alu bike I was able to do a pretty good like for like comparison.

It's a lot lighter. Not just picking it up, it feels easier to chuck around under me
    It seems to soak up a bit more of the road buzz
    It makes a different set of noises
    I need to be careful not to clamp it anywhere; some of the tubes have very thin, flexible walls if you squash them in the wrong direction.
    I am no faster on the carbon bike than the alu one.
    Although I've fitted 25mm tyres I now find some gouging on the inside of the chainstays, so I think I may have to fit a 23mm tyre at least on the rear, which may negate some of the comfort advantage.

Anyway, I have an alu bike with 25mm GP$ Seasons and full mudguards as a dedicated winter / wet weather bike, and the CR1 for summer / dry weather. Best of both worlds, N+1 and all that.

The alu framed Domane is by all accounts an excellent bike, so if it will take 25mm tyres or larger I'd say you'll be fine with that
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    Like I said earlier - buy what you want.
    Just don't make the mistake of thinking that all carbon bikes are better than all aluminium bikes.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Go for it then in 6-12 months time you will want steel then maybe Ti then bespoke then....
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Singleton wrote:
    Like I said earlier - buy what you want.
    Just don't make the mistake of thinking that all carbon bikes are better than all aluminium bikes.
    My Caad 10 Disc is a great example of this!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Yes. Of course you do.
    Silly question.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    I probably didn't word the title right! I was more wondering if the mileage I would be doing would alloy frame be ok?

I tried 6 bikes at the weekend and soon found some felt more comfortable from the geometry than others regardless of the materials.

I am probably just trying to justify to myself if I should spend the extra on the carbon frame!

But then I hadn't even considered steel or Ti!
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    I've had a Giant Defy (Alu) for the past 4 years and have found it a brilliant bike - perfectly capable of ride distances you mentioned and a whole lot more.
    Cycling is a bit of an addiction though and you always find yourself looking at what you could of had if you'd just stretched your budget that little bit further...

(PS: My next bike I buy will be carbon, but not planning to replace the Defy just yet)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Iand-83 wrote:

But then I hadn't even considered steel or Ti!

Don't :wink:
    Niche and will just complicate things.

My advice would be to get as light and well specced a bike, that you like the look of, as you can.
    Obviously it has to fit well and be a comfortable geometry, but frame material has nothing to do with that.

Accept that carbon costs more, and then put the price difference to one side until you have chosen a bike.
    When comparing bikes, lower the price of the carbon ones by £500 in your head so that it is no longer a financial factor.

Pick the bike you like the most and buy it.

My dislike of welds and love of the frame shapes that carbon allows rules out Aluminum in a road bike for me, but if it does not for you then audition both.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Iand-83 wrote:
    I probably didn't word the title right! I was more wondering if the mileage I would be doing would alloy frame be ok?

What do you think the pros used for 1000's of racing miles before they were given carbon frames?

The alu bike will be fine and you could always spend the extra cash towards a decent wheel upgrade (or beer and hookers). Further down the road if you start riding further or more often or more seriously you will probably want to upgrade anyway, no matter which bike you buy. Then you can buy a newer carbon beauty and have the alu bike as your winter poor weather ride!

But at the end of the day, by the one you like the most and that fits you the best. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Raced, trained, toured, communted and did all the rest on Ali bikes through the years and never had a problem or desire for anything else (admittedly for the past 10 years everything has had carbon bars, 'post, forks, etc).

So no problem at all if you want to stick with Ali - something like a CAAD 10 is utterly lovely to ride, looks fantastic, lasts forever and is as light as a carbon frame. Together with being cheaper.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.