Cervelo S5 owner with some cash to spend. Need advice

RonanIRL
RonanIRL Posts: 6
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey folks,

I year ago I bought this off a pro/am racer for a good discount. CAD$3300 vs CAD$5k+ new. He'd only done 4-5 races on it and threw in a few upgrades including a Dra-Ace crank, Pro Vibe Carbon stem and Bars, Kysrium SL wheels. .

I put about $500 into it straight away which included new Ultegra pedals and a full service at the LBS. They replaced the chain (ultegra) and both wheel hubs as the bearings were poor (I think the wheels had more use than the bike). I've also got a computer and wahoo cadence meter.

Wondering where I could drop some cash this year?? Obvious upgrades are wheels I suppose however I'm not really interested in spending more than $1300-$1500 (600-700 GBP). Will they really make much difference?

I ride a lot of group rides (100km+) and this bike is a dream. I also modify the geometry (saddle/handlebars etc.) for the odd triathlon (2 last year, 3 this year) and add aerobars (Profile Design T1+ carbon). Perhaps a disc or something for the Triathlons?

Any thoughts? My gut feeling is save my money and in 2-3 years go for a new set-up entirely?

p5pb10555881.jpg
p5pb10555883.jpg

Comments

• meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Having ridden an S5 for a few years, it's definitely worth a few upgrades. Whether a pair of deeper carbon clinchers is much of an upgrade over the Kysriums is debatable but they'd definitely look better... sorry, but an S5 with those really low profile alloy wheels just looks a bit unfinished.

Otherwise, assuming it fits well, it's a pretty sorted build.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Wheels. All day long. Mavic Cosmic SLE at that price, I suppose. I run mine on Mavic CXR80s now, but here's what it looked like on Zipp 808s:
    Cervelo%20main_zpsv8mtb0g2.jpg
  • RonanIRL
    The deep wheels suit the aero frame beautifully but in reality what am I going to gain in a group ride or a 40km TT?

Maybe it's worth looks alone!
  • For £600-700 I will cut your steerer down for you. Nice little weight saving there and maybe a few watts in the wind tunnel.
    You'll need to come to me though at that price :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    RonanIRL wrote:
    The deep wheels suit the aero frame beautifully but in reality what am I going to gain in a group ride or a 40km TT?

Maybe it's worth looks alone!

Bingo. The problem is that you are trying to combine improvements in a TT/Triathlon with improvements in group riding. IME, the best gains for group riding performance are based around the rider (as in getting fit and all that stuff) whereas many gains in TT performance are based around a combination of human performance and technology/position. I think it boils down to the fact that you cannot have one bike and expect it to be a jack of all trades. Whilst the S5 is a supremely aero bike...the bike itself is a very small part of the gains to be had for TT, the biggest of which is from having a bike which facilitates getting the position right. After that, the general wisdom seems to say skinsuit, then helmet and finally wheels.

If you buy some nice wheels then they will look nice and be transferable but they will do little for group riding and, from the list above, offer some TT gain but are 4th in the list of priority. Hence, it may be prudent to consider getting a decent VFM TT bike coupled with a decent bike fit to get the position right for you, and then concentrate on improving your TT with some dedicated training for that.

if you want to spend some money now then some budget 40mm wheels will complement the look of the S5 better than the Ksyriums, whilst you save for that new bike...which doesn't have to be a P5, btw ;-)
  • RonanIRL
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    the best gains for group riding performance are based around the rider (as in getting fit and all that stuff)

100% agree and I've no problem putting the effort in there! I'll just get abuse from my mates for getting dropped if I don't!
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think it boils down to the fact that you cannot have one bike and expect it to be a jack of all trades. Whilst the S5 is a supremely aero bike...the bike itself is a very small part of the gains to be had for TT, the biggest of which is from having a bike which facilitates getting the position right. After that, the general wisdom seems to say skinsuit, then helmet and finally wheels.

Also agree! A post over at SlowTwitch backs up the logic there. He mentions positioning first, so maybe a new handlebar setup like a 3T or Zipp fully integrated set-up would be worth investing in? It's a bit of a hassle swapping the cabling around but not impossible. Easy if you know how! Although Di2 shifters & aero brakes are not cheap.
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    if you want to spend some money now then some budget 40mm wheels will complement the look of the S5 better than the Ksyriums, whilst you save for that new bike...which doesn't have to be a P5, btw ;-)

Yeah the S5 was a bit of an impulse buy. The new Venge looks great but there are so many options!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Loved mine I had 80s on mine with di2 and was a great ride looked nice too but frame developed a crack like many have in the same spot and fortunately was covered under warranty so awaiting a replacement from cervelo.
  • RonanIRL
    like many have in the same spot

Where is this located Jeff?

Thanks
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    RonanIRL wrote:
    like many have in the same spot

Where is this located Jeff?

Mallorca :-)
  • mallorcajeff
    Mallorca haha. Just below the uci sticker above the rear "wheelarch" as it were. They never quibbled as its happend a fair few times so glad it was covered by warrenty £3000 frame is a lot to loose
  • mallorcajeff
    Not got a photo of the crack as i took this before i knew it was there. To be honest i never knew it even was there. I sold the bike and the person that bought it found it but i never saw it. Hard to miss once you know its there but i felt bad as i had no idea and refunded him that same night. Got the bike back a few days later and have now stripped it and got a new frame coming.
    Where the red 5 is about half way along the top of the 5 a vertical crack on the seem of the middle of the wheel arch if you can call it, the curved bit of the down tube.
    image.jpg1_zps6fmwwv5t.jpg
  • mallorcajeff
    image.jpg1_zpsjrk1xodq.jpg
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    How did bikes get so ugly?
  • mallorcajeff
    If you think thats ugly your bike must be awful?
  • joe2008
    If you think thats ugly your bike must be awful?

Viner Maxima RS built by Marco Bertoletti in Bergamo

2012-viner-maxima-rs2-road-bike.jpg

Makes the S5 look like a Frankenbike :D
  • 964cup
    I have to say I agree. I love my S5 and the speed it gives me, but it is gopping. I think it's mainly the ludicrous headtube and the iffy integration of the seatpost. Most aero bikes are pretty hideous, though - I saw a Madone 9.9 on Sunday, and that's got some really unsightly tube shapes and dimensions. This is my prettiest bike:

Zullo%20main_zpswptyxis1.jpg

...but I didn't choose to race it in the ToC on Sunday.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Isn't ToC a sportive?
  • mallorcajeff
    Each to their own joe. Personally i dont like that viner the colour scheme looks dragged out the 80s. As i say each to their own and i think youll find the testing results depicted the shape of the cervelo to perform with minimal drag. Its a race bike designed to win races, which its done time and time again. Its not all about looks.
  • 964cup
    coriordan wrote:
    Isn't ToC a sportive?
    Nope. It's a "Gran Fondo", part of the UCWT amateur world series, which is to say a closed roads event with both a UCI-sanctioned race *and* a sportive-style challenge. I rode it as a race and was required to show my full BC race licence in order to start from the race pens (which set off about 15 mins before the 'sportive' part and were sorted into age groups in accordance with UCI regs for amateur racing). It's a qualifying event for the UCI amateur world championships, which I also raced last year (in Denmark). I qualified this year too, but will not be spending a fortune to go to Australia and be humiliated by Cat 1s. If I'm going to be humiliated - and I am - it will be on a budget, dammit!
  • RonanIRL
    Thanks Jeff, will check ASAP. It's in the LBS right now getting a new bottom bracket so maybe I'll ask them to take a peek.

I'm putting the cash I had earmarked for some upgrades back under the mattress so to speak. Looks like there aren't any big gains I can take advantage of without going for a brand new setup!

New Canyon next year perhaps?
    http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/pro-bike ... ad-cf-slx/

Thanks for the feedback folks
  • joe2008
    Each to their own joe. Personally i dont like that viner the colour scheme looks dragged out the 80s. As i say each to their own and i think youll find the testing results depicted the shape of the cervelo to perform with minimal drag. Its a race bike designed to win races, which its done time and time again. Its not all about looks.

I've no doubt that that assortment of spare parts from Cervelo's R&D department is quick, although personally I wouldn't want to climb too far on it.

However, my original comment was that bikes were becoming ugly, and with that criteria it is 'all about looks'... and the S5 does look ridiculous.
  • mallorcajeff
    As a follow up my cervelo was cracked and they replaced it with a new frame under warrenty. The shop were fantastic. They sent me a 54cm new shape 2016 s5. I didnt even open the box sold it straight on as no longer wanted. Ive just bought a new bike and bought some wheels off a guy. When i went to collect them he had an r5 i said nice bike in idke chat and he said "yes i got it free" i said how come. Bugger me he had an s5 and it cracked snd cervelo offerd him an s5 or an r5 he took the r5. Another failure. Same as mine although his actually broke in half he showed me a picture of it. Im now riding a canyon and although cervelo service was great i wont ever own another one.
  • mallorcajeff
    And if anyone wants to buy the new frame its for sale on roach cycle exchange, i sold it to them (highly recomended)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    And if anyone wants to buy the new frame its for sale on roach cycle exchange, i sold it to them (highly recomended)

Just tried to find them online, but couldn't. Do you mean Road Cycle Exchange? They have a place within walking distance of me - nice bikes
  • mallorcajeff
    Yes that them. Auto spell check on the ipad! Yes really good guys in their.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yes that them. Auto spell check on the ipad! Yes really good guys in their.

Ah, right !!!!

Yes, they have great stuff in there. Plus with their location being so close to Richmond Park it is handy for a test ride.