tyres

papajohn
papajohn Posts: 2
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I keep getting punctures on my fronts and its getting annoying and expensive. Whats the best way to combat these issues? I have a Trek Aluminium racer. Any ideas?

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Pick a better line, don't ride in the gutter, inflate to a better pressure.

Check when changing the tube you have removed the culprit, replace old tyres
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • WinNT
    WinNT Posts: 21
    papajohn wrote:
    I keep getting punctures on my fronts and its getting annoying and expensive. Whats the best way to combat these issues? I have a Trek Aluminium racer. Any ideas?
    why is it expencive? If you patch it yourself it cost almost nothing. But i know how annoying it is.

Some details would help to undestand the reason.
    How often do you have punctures?
    Do you find in the tyre something that punctured it? (e.g. piece of glass)
    What pressure to you keep in the tyres?
    What side of the tube is punctured?
    How old and how good is your tyre? (a picture of the tyre maybe helpful)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, all the above.

A good tip is to take your time when fitting the tube/tyre at home and ensure that the tyre logo lines up with the valve. Then when you puncture ALWAYS check the tube to find out what the cause was, two holes indicate a snakebite so probably worth a cursory check in the tyre but the main reason for the puncture is either twatting a pothole or running insufficient pressure. Always worth checking the rim when time allows to ensure no sharp ridges.

A single hole usually means that that you should line the tube up against the tyre and look carefully for the offending item (check in both directions from the valve. If you just rush and fit another tube you will puncture again...and again...

If you are puncturing on the inside line of the tube then check your rimtape, etc.

Do a weekly check of tyres and remove small items or they will work through...and I always patch where possible (never at the side of the road unless I have to, but using a TT kit at home).