Wider bars.

paulc33
paulc33 Posts: 254
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I used to run 44cm bars. Then bought 3t ergonova 44 bars which are actually 42cm at hoods and 44cm on drops.

I don't find them as comfy and slightly twitchy is this possible that they are more twitchy or in my head as I don't like the narrowness of them.?

Would going back to 44cm be best option and less twitchy?
2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Deffo more twitchy, go back to 44 if that feels more stable
    left the forum March 2023
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Narrower bars feel a bit more twitchy but 44 to 42 shouldn't feel like a huge difference. The reason the manufacturers make them narrower at the hoods is because it gives you an aero gain in the comfy 'on the hoods cruising' position (the enve ses bar has a big differential for exactly that reason), it's also why the pros are encouraged to go narrower.

Narrower hoods and wider drops should, in theory, give you best of both worlds as you get the wider stance when you need stability, Ie descending or going for it, plus some aero gain when cruising. Might be worth persevering to see if you get used to it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Stueys wrote:

Narrower hoods and wider drops should, in theory, give you best of both worlds as you get the wider stance when you need stability, Ie descending or going for it, plus some aero gain when cruising.

Basically history repeats itself and we are going back to the early 20th century

71v-i5NUlyL._SY355_.jpg
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Stueys wrote:

Narrower hoods and wider drops should, in theory, give you best of both worlds as you get the wider stance when you need stability, Ie descending or going for it, plus some aero gain when cruising.

Basically history repeats itself and we are going back to the early 20th century

71v-i5NUlyL._SY355_.jpg

Yeah, guess a good idea is still a good idea :lol:

That one's a tad bling though....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How long have you had the new bars? You'll probably get used to them.
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    Had them about 5 months. And can't get used to them.

Will buy some 44's again and back to what I've known and was told years ago on a bike fit would be best suited to me.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • ugo.santalucia
    paulc33 wrote:
    Had them about 5 months. And can't get used to them.

Will buy some 44's again and back to what I've known and was told years ago on a bike fit would be best suited to me.

If you buy Deda, remember they measure outside to outside, so you need 46