Smart turbo trainer - Tacx Vortex smart or other <£300

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

Currently have, and have been usung for about 7 years, an elite fluid trainer.
Not really had any issues with it, seems reliable.

Now I have signed upto trainerroad, I am wondering if this might ve useful, as it is meant to adjust the resistance automatically to match the workout?

My other rationale, is that my turbo bike has my Vector 2's on, and I would like to have them on my best bike, where they started life.

Due to a voucher I have, I can buy the above trainer for £235.

Any better deals or turbo's out there, preferably this side of £300.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Tacx price is partly representative of the resistance it can represent.

Vortex Smart 950 watts & 7% incline representative
    Bushido Smart 1400 watts & 15% incline representative
    Genius Smart 1500 watts & 20% incline representative
    Neo 2200 watts & 25% incline representative
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Thanks Phil,

sadly the Bushido seems to be circa £400, or £350 with BC discount and cashback, but that's pretty much 50% more than the Vortex.

Also the reviews on CRC speak of a LOT of issues with the Bushido model.

Leaning more towards the Vortex now, appreciate the power and slope angle are limited, but does that even mean if you are in a 52\11 for example?
    I guess it must?

Alternatively, a member of my club has just offered a nearly 2 year old cycleops powerbeam pro for £325 - has had a fair amount of usage, but comes with all the bits, but no display unit, but then not interested in that.
    Seems to retail for £600 new http://www.pedal-pedal.co.uk/cycleops-powerbeam-pro-trainer-2015-bluetooth-ant.html?gclid=CKT0_YiBhM0CFYTGGwodfOoP3g

Assuming the slightly older model would have the same functionality though........
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My issue with the Bushido Smart has been a bit of delayed lag. When you're following a catalyst or other program and an incline is showing on screen, it sometimes comes in late or early so is unpredictable. I don't think the issue is restricted to the Bushido Smart though so be ready of it on a Vortex Smart too. Calibration can be a pain in the backside and dependent on finding the sweet spot for your machine.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.