Buying a road bike. Originally up to €1000 (or maybe a bit more)

jorsteen
jorsteen Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all!

I have been riding mountain bikes back in Norway for a couple of years, but have always wanted a road bike in addition to the mountain bike. I really feel like buying one now, and I do have the means to do so. I am currently in Munich, but will be bringing the bike back with me to Norway at the end of summer.

I do however have a bit of trouble choosing a bike, I guess always wanting what is one step up in terms of quality (and also price :( ) is getting a bit to me. :D

Use for me is mostly hobby, usually I will do 3 x 2-2,5 hours runs on my mountain bike every week, riding with my friends and family. I also want to attend some races/sportives, which are not too serious and open to everyone with all kinds of bikes.

I don't really know too much about road bikes, so I really need some recommendations. Budget was originally set to €1000 but if what I get for stretching it a bit is worth it, I can go as far up as €1500.

Just from looking at reviews I have been looking at Canyon (cheaper endurance range), Specialized Allez (also a store here in Munich has a Secteur 2013 model available for €700 and it is in my size, maybe an option?), Bianchi Impulso (I really fancy this one, but it is also the most expensive by quite a long shot with about €1500).

And then of course, there is the endless debate of discs vs non discs. I usually do not ride much in the wet (as I said this is a hobby), but from my mountain bike I am used to hydraulic disc brakes and I am a little concerned about whether there will be a big difference in experienced braking control with cantilevers vs discs on the road bike?
I was in the Bianchi store in Munich, and the guy there recommended to give road racing 2-3 years before hopping on the disc wagon, as the options for the discs especially in this price range are still quite limited.

Okay, became a bit of a long one, but hope I can get some tips.

Thanks.

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Hi Jorsteen,

There are dozens of good options at that price point!
    Although there are subtle differences between road bikes from different manufacturers, at the same price they are all fairly similar. The biggest difference you'll see is between the popular 'endurance fit' machines and those that have a more traditional race geometry (i.e. shorter head tubes, slightly longer top tubes).

For your first road bike I would definitely have a go before you buy so you know what you're getting yourself in for. As you say, Canyon have amazing value but you have to be sure on sizing and they have long lead times.

The Specialized Allez is a good entry level bike and one of the rare cases where the 'basic' model has a decent race fit- their frames are surprisingly good too and well deserving of upgrading over time.
    The Bianchis are also very nice looking bikes, although I guess you're going to pay a premium for the name.

At the end of the day, you're going to be the one that's going to be riding it, so you might as well go for something that will encourage you to ride more, although you can't compromise on the bike comfort for stunning looks though!

As for disks vs rims, I think your friend has got it right- they will certainly be allowed into races at some point, but there are too many concerns to be ironed out to begin with (riding in tight packs at speed is quite different to MTB or even cyclocross) and with some of the European sportives banning their use (I'm not sure why- sportives should be a lot different to races) it's a safe bet to stick with rim brakes if you plan on attending any of the big sportives or having a go at racing in a couple of years.
    The modern calliper brakes are very, very good and easily have more than enough power- the limiting factor becomes the small contact patch between tyre and tarmac. Braking is always going to be inferior on a road bike compared to a MTB (and it takes far longer to stop from the higher speeds) so you do need to keep a good eye up the road and anticipate a little more. Good pads also work well in the wet too nowerdays, although it takes a fraction longer to bite than my entry level mechanical disks when water has built up on the rims.

It is something to beware of on road bikes at any price point- manufacturers often swap out parts to meet a price point, and this is commonly the brakes which can be very inferior to the actual callipers that belong with the groupset- but its not an expensive upgrade.

If you have no intention of racing or doing a big sportive at all, then I guess its a no brainer to go with a disk option if you like the look of the bike.

Good luck!
  • jorsteen
    jorsteen Posts: 3
    Hi Jorsteen,

Thanks for such awesome advice. It basically is down to the Bianchi vs Specialized, I like them equally much and they both have stores in Munich that I can buy from.
    I guess it comes down to the groupset then. If I go for the Specialized it will probably be with the Shimano Sora groupset, based on the review here on bikeradar it does seem to be a good enough setup. As a beginner do you think I will actually miss the Campagnolo Veloce or Shimano 105 that the Bianchi will be delivered with?

And I will stay away from the discs for now I think ;)