Advice for carrying second bottle

jd843
jd843 Posts: 59
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I ordered a Planet X bike online, and I've just discovered that the small frame (which I've ordered) only has one set of bottle cage bosses, so I won't be able to attach two bottle cages to it. Pretty disappointed to be honest, as I like to have a second bottle on rides over 35 miles, but it's my own fault for not reading the entire product page before ordering.

I've seen this, which I'm considering getting: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ac ... age-strips

I just wondered if anyone had any other recommendations for what to do about carrying a second bottle. Has anyone tried these strap things? Or do you ever carry a bottle in your jersey pocket, or some other method?

Cheers

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If you don't mind looking like a triathlete then you could look for a bottle cage to go behind your saddle.
  • jd843
    jd843 Posts: 59
    If you don't mind looking like a triathlete then you could look for a bottle cage to go behind your saddle.

Thanks for your reply. I had a look at one of those mounts on wiggle and the reviews weren't very favourable... Apparently it massively gets in the way of your saddle bag, which I would also need on long rides!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    i'd go with the strap-on bosses

check to see if there'll be room for a bottle with a normal cage - with a bottle in the current cage, hold another in the position it'd be if there were another cage on the seat tube, you need enough clearance for it to not get in the way of the existing one but with enough space to slide it up without hitting the top tube

if the space is too tight, you can use a side entry bottle cage on the seat tube, this'll allow you to mount the cage higher up
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    What size bottles do you normally ride with? If 500ml then you could always ride with a single 800ml and see how you got on...
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd cancel the purchase if you can - 2 bottles is pretty much essential at times and even if space is tight as above a side entry cage would have been possible.

You can use a strap on bottle cage boss - I've used one on an old cross bike I had - they work ok though mine needed to be quite tight which I'm not sure I'd fancy that with a carbon tube plus it looked crap though I suppose there may be neater ones out there.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    This looked a bit of solution to a problem that doesn't really exist but maybe it does for you:

https://backbottle.com/

I'd probably just go with the post above though about using a single larger bottle and see how you get on. On the bright side, think of the combined weight of the cage and most of a bottle you'll be saving.....
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I've used the M Size on a bike without bosses, quality seems Ok;
    http://www.minoura.jp/english/accessory-e/bh100-e.html

Probably a tight squeeze on the frame which is why it only has bosses for one.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bidon-vest-Orica-GreenEdge-Giro-dItalia_Graham-Watson-630x420.jpg
  • Fingerling
    Fingerling Posts: 29
    I had the same issue. Use a seat bottle holder as suggested. Mine was fine with a saddle bag. No issue
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I have a seat bottle cage that clamps to the saddle rails which doesn't get in the way of a saddle bag strapped on (rather than bolted on) but you have to beware of the bottle holders launching your bottle like a missile when you hit bumps- old school alloy cages can be bent to help retention, and there are some fancy (read expensive) carbon options specially designed to be used behind saddles.

I often carry a spare bottle in my middle jersey pocket when warming up for TTs, although I'm not sure how great it would be on long rides and you limit how much you can carry in your pockets!
  • Shuggy76
    Shuggy76 Posts: 91
    JGSI wrote:
    Bidon-vest-Orica-GreenEdge-Giro-dItalia_Graham-Watson-630x420.jpg
    :lol:
    Although they haven't really caught on :?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You could totally ignore #32 :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    I use http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-bottle-cage-saddle-mount/ with a Tacx cage (as it matches the ones I have on the frame). I have had no issues at all, and as long as the bottle is a fairly snug fit, no issues with the self-ejection problem. On thing I noted is that I have the bottle set to point at a fair angle backwards (which is adjustable), whereas those who seem to suffer tend to have the bottles mounted more vertically, hence a more direct ejection force.

The (small) saddle bag I use fits on the saddle rails between the seat post and the back of the bottle cage, so I lost no carrying capacity.

Reaching for the bottle (while moving) involves a fair bit of contortion, although I only do this to swap an empty for the full one, rather than regularly drinking from the rear bottle

The only issue I have is that it makes it more difficult to mount/unmount the bike if you swing your leg over the back of the saddle...
  • If its a pro carbon then its probably not going to fit in the frame, which will be the reason why there is only 1 mount. I have a medium frame, and you can only just fit a 500ml bottle in the rear cage before it hits the top tube. Id imagine on a small frame the bottle just wouldnt fit there.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pretty sure they used to have 2 bottle cages - and the second one worked so long as it was a side pull out cage.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A 1 litre folding/collapsible water bottle will fit in your jersey back pocket (the middle one is best), very similar idea to the back bottle linked above.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I never carry 2 bottles on my bike, then again I never ride much more than 2 hours, but on the occasions I do I just refill either by buying a bottle of water or stopping somewhere that might offer me a refill. Never see the point of lugging around 2 full bottles.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have only one bottle cage on my winter bike and use a 1L bottle if i'm using it for longer spins. If i'm going further that i'd need more I stop at a shop and buy water and refill my bottle. Unless your in a race then simply stop someone where and refill the bottle you already have.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    jd843 wrote:
    as I like to have a second bottle on rides over 35 miles

So I think the OP is "allowed" a 2nd bottle if so desired...

Personally, at times, I ride with three 1L sized insulated bottles with ±750ml capacity - but then my ride may well be at 40°C+ with one water stop after approximately 60KM. Will I finish all three within 60KM? Not normally, no - but if I mechanical I need to have water available before I require an ambulance or worse - YMMV...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I never carry 2 bottles on my bike, then again I never ride much more than 2 hours, but on the occasions I do I just refill either by buying a bottle of water or stopping somewhere that might offer me a refill. Never see the point of lugging around 2 full bottles.

Likewise. A single 500ml bottle will do me fine for up to 3 hours, unless it's hot, (>24'C or so).