Cable stretch

St50vec
St50vec Posts: 57
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Hi was just wondering how often you have suffered from this. It seems every ride I go on I can get the gear I ask with it kind of just clonking away. I took it back to halfords 2 weeks ago for same fault and first ride back was amazing 20 miles later and same fault is back kind of getting fed up of taking it back there as it's a good hour and a half round trip. Any suggestions. I can't believe the cable would go slack that quick

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It's not a biggie job for diy...you just need to understand some principles and some basic tools. https://youtu.be/Bbk5RcH0bbQ is your YouTube friend to explain the dark arts of bike maintenance.
  • St50vec
    St50vec Posts: 57
    I've watched a few videos about it. It's just it happen so often that I'm thinking something else must be wrong.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    'cable stretch' is more likely to be the ferrules/outers/etc. snugging down under tension, it takes a few rides to bed in then it should be stable

doesn't hurt to give everything a once over, check cable clamp bolts are tight, check wheels are fully seated in the drops before quick releases tightened (loosen qr, put weight on the bike, tighten qr)

as above, it's a simple job to tweak the adjuster
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Is the bolt holding the cable in a little loose?

Normally after a few hard rides and readjustment it should stay fairly stable.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    I doubt that the cable would pull through by such a minute amount but worth checking I suppose. I reckon it's probably something like a poor cable run or something making the cables stick - I know that doesn't explain how the shop set it up to work well for 20 miles but cables don't stretch and as said already once you've bedded it in you shouldn't have to touch it more than once in a blue moon.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like rubbish cables / install - but would need more info on the exact nature of the problem? I doubt the cable is actually slipping, but cheap, floppy outers and a poor install (crushed outer, poor downshift?) are more likely the problems. Also check that the rear mech hanger is secure in the frame / not bent.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    Check that the shifters are clamped securely to the bars. Also, if it's the front derailleur, check that the mech itself is securely clamped on the frame.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never happens to me.
    Whats the bike? Cheap bikes do have more problems.