Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Packs

Ross GardnerRoss Gardner Posts: 230
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I started a new topic to avoid hijacking another topic for my own ends. I thought this was the appropriate protocol.

I missed a deal on a Raptor 9 on Ebay, not knowing what pack size would be smallest for performance, yet big enough for a day's ride. The pack went for about £31 plus postage, and a hydration pack added another £27 (minimum) to that price. The one I previously linked to costs £61, and has 4 litres more of space. Due to a similar topic, this amount of space equalled good.

I'm wondering if the £61 one is counterfeit (I have purchased counterfeit stuff before, and was not happy).

I think I'm going to get rid of my cage (might get in way after quick release, but I might get a new post and modify that), and my manual pump fitting.

I have been looking at a Camelbak Hydration, Charge 240, Rogue, and the Octane LR (for short trips).

For longer trips, I have been looking at the Mule, Rim Runner, Arete, Cloud Walker and Blowfish.

Posts

  • chrisdouglaschrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Well the hydration pack I run isn't a cycle one. I picked it up at an outdoor shop in town for about £30 with a 3l bladder.

    I'm trying to ditch that for the shorter rides because it's really not that comfortable. I think if I was in your position, I'd be looking at full retail spots and spending proper dosh (this is my plan when I come to going on much longer rides) and getting a genuine purpose built pack. I really like the look of the Camelbak Skyline. I'm not sure of the volume of the packs you've mentioned but that one is a 10l with room for a 2l bladder I think.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

    http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • kyle17290kyle17290 Posts: 261
    I've got an evoc fr enduro 16litre hydration pack that willl be in the classifieds as soon as i get some pictures taken. Has the spine protector, room for a 3 litre bladder, size m/l, 2 months old, used once but found it a bit big for what i need, basically brand new.
  • Ross GardnerRoss Gardner Posts: 230
    I got some perspective the other day. I started to look at packs, and was surprised how small most of them are (for some reason I imagined them bigger) in comparison to a normal backpack. I can really see the allure now. The question is still though, how much that weight shifting left and right should be.

    That Camelbak Skyline isn't in a colour I like, but thanks anyway.
    kyle17290 wrote:
    I've got an evoc fr enduro 16litre hydration pack that willl be in the classifieds as soon as i get some pictures taken. Has the spine protector, room for a 3 litre bladder, size m/l, 2 months old, used once but found it a bit big for what i need, basically brand new.

    Cool, maybe I'll bid on it.
  • Rookie1986Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    My Osprey Raptor 14 arrived today and is seems a solid piece of kit, I'm shocked at how much lighter and smaller it is in comparison to a standard back pack. It also comes with a decent range of dedicated cycling features including 3l hydration pack, back protector, lid lock for your helmet, tool wrap and loads of additional well thought out storage ideas.... Unfortunately this does come at a price.... And it's a hefty price at £100 for the 14l.

    I'm hoping to test it tomorrow so will post how I find the comfort level, amount of space and if the hydration pack is worth paying for.
  • Ross GardnerRoss Gardner Posts: 230
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    My Osprey Raptor 14 arrived today and is seems a solid piece of kit, I'm shocked at how much lighter and smaller it is in comparison to a standard back pack. It also comes with a decent range of dedicated cycling features including 3l hydration pack, back protector, lid lock for your helmet, tool wrap and loads of additional well thought out storage ideas.... Unfortunately this does come at a price.... And it's a hefty price at £100 for the 14l.

    I'm hoping to test it tomorrow so will post how I find the comfort level, amount of space and if the hydration pack is worth paying for.

    The bills are going up and up for me (the bike sweet shop calls me by name), so the £100 tag is a real put-off. You can go even more stupid (In my opinion, no offense), and pay £200 for a 36L.

    You are tempting me to take the plunge and get a £61 Osprey, however. Does yours come from Hong Kong?

    Sports direct offer some good deals if you don't mind black:

    http://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResul ... price_desc
  • Rookie1986Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    I bought mine from the Osprey website and the pack was sent from Germany I think. Usually I would have shopped around for a discounted one but the pervious Raptor series has sold out everywhere forcing me to buy this years model.
  • Ross GardnerRoss Gardner Posts: 230
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    I bought mine from the Osprey website and the pack was sent from Germany I think. Usually I would have shopped around for a discounted one but the pervious Raptor series has sold out everywhere forcing me to buy this years model.

    Hmm... that makes me sceptical on the authenticity.

    How much better are they in comparison to the Viper?
  • Rookie1986Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    I bought mine from the Osprey website and the pack was sent from Germany I think. Usually I would have shopped around for a discounted one but the pervious Raptor series has sold out everywhere forcing me to buy this years model.

    Hmm... that makes me sceptical on the authenticity.

    How much better are they in comparison to the Viper?

    Tbh I'm not sure as I've never had a Viper, both seem really good packs from their reviews so I think you'd be please with either of them. My only surprise was how small the 14l pack actually is, but after packing it tonight I've got room for everything I could ever need plus some!
Sign In or Register to comment.