wheels/cassette/spacer mix

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Wondering about 2 things after buying new wheels and group.

1. Do I only use the 1 spacer (think it's > 1mm) that was provided with my Campag Zonda wheelset (11 spd hub) when fitting my Tiagra 4700 HG-500 10 speed cassette?

2. I'm going to use my old 9 spd Alex 1.0 rear wheel with another new 10 speed Tiagra 4700 HG-500 cassette when on the trainer. Again, will it need a spacer?

Aiming to hopefully have very similar chain lines so that indexing is almost perfect when swapping out the Zonda rear wheel to use my trainer.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    1. The spacer supplied with the Zonda wheels should be a 1.85mm and you normally use that and the spacer supplied with the cassette, for a 10speed cassette on a 11 speed freehub. However the previous 4600 Tiagra 10 speed cassettes had a built in spacer, so if the CS-HG500-10 cassette is the same design and doesn't come with a spacer then use the spacer supplied with the wheel and see if it tightens down correctly.

2. Taken from the Workshop FAQ sub forum Cassette compatibility by ugo.santalucia

"Shimano 10 speed cassettes are actually smaller than 9 speed, as the spacings are narrow and go on a Shimano 8-10 speed cassette with a spacer, which is provided with the cassette (Tiagra does not use the spacer)."

Seems to suggested you may not need a spacer, try fitting the CS-HG500-10 to your 9 speed freehub and see if it tightens down correctly.