Superstar Nano-X - split o-ring

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
One of the pedals on son's bike was sounding very dry and grease free, superstar nano-X acquired in December.

I struggled to find a straightforward way to grease them (no grease ports etc) so simply too the end (non-crank) dust cap off and filled with grease, retightened the dust cap and repeated a few times until grease was coming out of the other end. Perhaps this was entirely hamfisted as a strategy, but anyway...

When cleaning up the crank end I could see a small piece of the o-ring protruding, so when the whole hog and managed to extract the spindle (perhaps what I should have done in the first place.

Anyway, the net result is that the o-ring at the crank end has split and lost about 1/20th of its body. I've re-assembled, but presume the outcome of this will be that there'll be dirt and water getting into the spindle now.

Would any old o-ring do (of the right size) or would I need to get in touch with superstar for a replacement part? Any hints on proper greasing technique for the future?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I think if you send them back to Superstar they will repair them for you - I had similar issue and they repaired them free of charge - although mine were only 2 weeks old.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Cheers - spotted on their website they sell spares as well as a full rebuild kit, so ordered the rebuild kit just in case I need to do anything more dramatic. Can't quite justify trying to return them as it was clearly my fault in trying to sort them out (though probably their fault in under-greasing them from the factory). Ho hum, only £15.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)