Carrera Luna refurb 24"

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I picked up the above for my daughter on auction site, compare to what she's been using is day and night, I was waiting a bit is well hoping she will grow a bit to use 26" wheel bike but nevertheless few more year to get there.

I need your help to sort few thing out

1) freehub 7spd not freewheel has a slight bend or at least you can see when you spin the wheel could do with new cassette and chain

2) XCT jr forks might is well use rigid feels like the dry and hardly any movement using my body weight :shock:

3) could do with only one chain ring on front

4) bike is fitted with Clarks EXO hydraulics brakes and even after quick adjustment is still rubbing on one side, lot more harder to adjust then my shimano, could be wrong but looks like huge star bit to move one of the piston out

What would be your suggestions

I have couple of weeks as she just had her cast of her arm and they advice not to use bike for few more weeks. She only use the bike to school and weekend ride out with me on cycle paths ect., definitely not downhill rider lol :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could be the rear axle is bent, not unusual for cheap steel axle, get a chromo when you replace it.

There are a few options for single front rings, as it happens if got one in my Justin box, Sakae, single steel ring with trouser guard and I think 165mm arms, but remember that with only a 7 speed rear you won't have a great lowest gear for climbing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    The Rookie wrote:
    Could be the rear axle is bent, not unusual for cheap steel axle, get a chromo when you replace it.

There are a few options for single front rings, as it happens if got one in my Justin box, Sakae, single steel ring with trouser guard and I think 165mm arms, but remember that with only a 7 speed rear you won't have a great lowest gear for climbing.

Rookie that would be fine as she don't do much climbing, might have spare 9 speed system very soon so maybe could use that.

Rear axle is quick release so not sure on them options.
  • ade555
    Forks has been sorted for now, striped cleaned and lubed, basic fork and we all know they just that but at lease they moving with ease.

Now for brakes --- just can't get them to stop rubbing, anyone know anything about the clarks EXO hydraulics brakes? I can get my shimano to work perfect in few seconds but this ones the pistons hardly move away from pad.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Light rubbing is fine and normal, if it's not dragging, then just embrace it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Exo's are a bit of pig, you may need to spend a bit of time pushing the pistons all the way in and pumping them out, a bit of DOT on them to clean them up. If one doesn't move out properly then immobilise the other and pull the lever - though be careful not to pop them out
  • ade555
    The Exo's are a bit of pig, you may need to spend a bit of time pushing the pistons all the way in and pumping them out, a bit of DOT on them to clean them up. If one doesn't move out properly then immobilise the other and pull the lever - though be careful not to pop them out

Thanks I sorted them out now, it took few movements to get the pistons to work as they should. Not bad brakes for kids in all honesty, they have reach adjustment and my daughter saying they are lot easier to use.
  • ade555
    I had a quick look on other threads and it looks like to get 1 on front the best solution would be XCR JR 152 crank which have removable bolts, but none available in UK., I have spare 152mm crank so planing to drill the rivets out to see if I can use normal chainring bolts.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I built up a Blast for my lad - Link in signature below.
    I replaced the forks with a set of 80mm travel Fox Floats - a popular upgrade for these bikes looking back over other build threads.
  • Yakboy
    Yakboy Posts: 55
    ade555 wrote:
    I had a quick look on other threads and it looks like to get 1 on front the best solution would be XCR JR 152 crank which have removable bolts, but none available in UK., I have spare 152mm crank so planing to drill the rivets out to see if I can use normal chainring bolts.

The XCR Jr cranks come from Germany and are available from Amazon. I have bought many an item from Germany, direct and through amazon and have never had a problem.

You've probably read my build post for my daughters Carrera Sol 24" build. if not I hope it yields some useful info.
    I have now upgraded to Clarkes M2 Hydraulics and am about to fit a ETC 11-34 cassette. The sol has a cassette and freehub, so I am surprised the Luna has a freewheel.

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12982278
  • ade555
    Yes I did have a look on your builds, don't have a problem buying from Germany but trying to find some parts locally, also thinking that normal wide narrow chainring even at 30t will be to big for her.

Front fork if I could get away with using the likes of mosso 26" rigid fork would be much better for her.

Bike actually have a cassette, and needs replacing as the top ring is split, only noticed this other day.