Buying bike to increase fitness level - reposted

PbikerN
PbikerN Posts: 4
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I want to buy a bike that I can use mainly to increase my fitness. Since having some back problems, don't want to go for typical racer/road bike, and hybrid seems like a good compromise.

I'm down to 2 candidates for my purchase - Giant Rapid 2 and Lapierre Urban Shaper 600. Bikes quite similar, same price, etc., however with few differences (Giant closer to a road bike, Lapierre to mtb).

Has anyone had any experience with these two?

Thanks
PbikerN

PS for Admins, I've posted the same topic here, as the one I did on the Training, Fitness and Health section, as per advice from Imposter. Please close the one from T, F & H section to avoid confusion and a bit of mess on the forum.

Comments

• mcxfisher
    mcxfisher Posts: 39
    My first fitness bike 4 years ago was a Giant Rapid. As you correctly noted it is closer to the road bike end of the spectrum, with 23 rims and quite an aggressive riding position. It is therefore best for rural and suburban commuting, but it wouldn't be my first choice for urban work. I have been delighted with the Rapid, which provided my first step into this business. It lives up to its name: you can cover ground quickly, and the wide gear range allows you to tackle any hill with confidence. There are 2 things you need to change at the outset: change the narrow tyres for 25 or 28; and reduce the width of the handlebars, which are too wide for optimum position and comfort (I reduced mine by 60 mm).

And one warning: riding a bike like the Rapid you will catch the road biking bug!