Seat Tube - Carbon ok? - Wilier

DefUnctUK
DefUnctUK Posts: 38
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

I hope there is someone out there who might be able to advise me a little. While changing the seatpost in my carbon Wilier, looking down the seat tube, i noticed / felt there was an area in it where the carbon seemed to be missing a layer or had a small gap in its smooth surface (it's quite small smaller than 1cm2 i would say). It's not deep, less than 1mm, so it seems like a layer - photos below. The rest of the seat tube is smooth, fine, can't feel any cracks or anything at all, no flakes, delamination or anything. Externally all is fine, like new despite its 6 year age, the bike has never been dropped or damaged.

Now, this bike is supposed to be monocoque, the top tube flows straight into the seat tube and stays - and the area where it is is just where it meets the top tube, so i guess it is strong there - my question is, should i be concerned? Could it have been caused during layup or more likely by someone inserting a seatpost?

http://imgur.com/a/3VeRV (2 photos, it can maybe be seen better on the bottom darker one)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not a problem, probably been like that since new - put the new seatpost in and happily ride it for another 6 years.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • DefUnctUK
    DefUnctUK Posts: 38
    Hi, thanks, thought / hoped so :-) Will do!

p.s i agree entirely with your signature.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Nice clean of inside of seat tube and seat post, fresh carbon paste, clamp bolt facing forwards, torque up properly, job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.