Copper leaf Orbea Orca

Gr8spinner
Gr8spinner Posts: 5
edited May 2016 in Your road bikes
My 2007 Orbea Orca. The copper leaf is applied then treated with a chemical recipe to achieve the patina.

It's a mish mash of parts but works flawlessly.

Shifters/Deraileur - SRAM Force
Brakes - Dura-Ace 7800
Crankset - Dura-Ace 9000 (Ultegra rings)
Seatpost - Syntace HiFlex
Wheels - Bontrager XXX Clinchers

IMG_6794_zpszxkdfnsq.jpg

IMG_6796_zpsc6tojebr.jpg

IMG_6802_zpsexhzkt9c.jpg

IMG_6797_zpsr3e6e8i5.jpg

IMG_6798_zpsgxazruys.jpg

IMG_6801_zpskei1wvuv.jpg

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Very nice, never seen a paintjob (or seemingly not an actual paintjob!) like that before on a carbon frame. Does it weigh much more than paint?
  • Gr8spinner
    Thanks for checking my bike out. I'm sure the copper weighs much less than paint, so it's just the clear coat. Maybe 30-50g I'm guessing.
  • Works well, nice looking bike
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Wouldn't leave that lying around. Someone will steal it for scrap!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Frame looks great, I'd've left the stem black though. Not least because now it looks like a little copper bit of plumbing.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Agreed. Looks amazing but I've had done a black stem
  • Gr8spinner
    I actually agree with the stem. It's really easy to get carried away sometimes because it looks so pretty. You can't really see them here but the bars are copper too. I've already swapped those out for a bar with black tape.
  • Looks great! Did you do this yourself? if so could you give more details as to how it is done?
  • Gr8spinner
    Yeah, I did it myself. In a nutshell, you prep the frame as if you were going to paint it. Apply adhesive, apply leaf, apply chem to activate the patina then clear. Really simplified, but thats basically it.