Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Rotor 3D cranks experience

Chris71127Chris71127 Posts: 71
edited July 2016 in Road general
I've been trying to find some reviews but haven't had much joy really.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of rotor 3D or 3D plus cranks.

I like the look of them and they would be replacing my 105 crankset which is currently running Q rings


Cheers

Posts

  • schlepcyclingschlepcycling Posts: 1,606
    I have 3D cranks which I run with a Power2max power meter and according to Strava I've done 11,700 miles on them. I swap them between 3 bikes, 2 electric Di2 and 1 mechanical Campag and have had absolutely no problems with them or shifting.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    I run 3D24 cranks with a Power2max type S and Rotor Q rings, and never had a problem with them. Have switched them between 2 bikes using the Rotor BB on one bike and sleeves for BB386 mega Exo on the other and they've performed similarly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Chris71127Chris71127 Posts: 71
    Thanks for the replies.

    I'm guessing that a 24mm version should fit the shimano bb86 bracket without any issues?
  • dstev55dstev55 Posts: 742
    I've got a Rotor 3D+ crank with DA front mech and have no problem with it. Mind you that's running NoQ's, Q Rings are a somewhat different story...
  • foggymikefoggymike Posts: 862
    Yes, it will fit a Shimano BB perfectly :)
  • Chris71127Chris71127 Posts: 71
    Just a further question.

    I understand that rotor are moving more towards 30mm axles for greater stiffness etc.
    Mine has a bb86 press fit with a 24mm axle.

    I understand rotor do a universal bb which allows the 30mm fitting.
    Has anyone tried this or know someone that has and how well did it work?

    Thanks to those who have replied
  • DavidJBDavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Done about 40,000 miles on mine and they are fine.
  • philbar72philbar72 Posts: 2,228
    mine are absolutely fine. run them for 10-14000 miles and they have been bombproof. I use shimano press fit bb's with them.
  • REDUTOPIAREDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    philbar72 wrote:
    mine are absolutely fine. run them for 10-14000 miles and they have been bombproof. I use shimano press fit bb's with them.
    Interesting.
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    dstev55 wrote:
    I've got a Rotor 3D+ crank with DA front mech and have no problem with it. Mind you that's running NoQ's, Q Rings are a somewhat different story...

    Q rings are fine. Have run Aero Q Rings from day one without issue. The problem arises when people don't set the front derailleur correctly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • REDUTOPIAREDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    I do not like them
  • dstev55dstev55 Posts: 742
    philthy3 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    I've got a Rotor 3D+ crank with DA front mech and have no problem with it. Mind you that's running NoQ's, Q Rings are a somewhat different story...

    Q rings are fine. Have run Aero Q Rings from day one without issue. The problem arises when people don't set the front derailleur correctly.

    Well I was placing my faith in my LBS who are Rotor dealers. It went back twice and I was still getting horrible front shifts and dropping my chain. Went back to round and not had any problems.
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    Maybe it's more to do with the groupset you're using then? I run SRAM on all my bikes and have never had problems with dropping the chain or difficult shifting using Q rings. The other riders I know likewise don't have problems.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dstev55dstev55 Posts: 742
    philthy3 wrote:
    Maybe it's more to do with the groupset you're using then? I run SRAM on all my bikes and have never had problems with dropping the chain or difficult shifting using Q rings. The other riders I know likewise don't have problems.

    Maybe, Dura-Ace everywhere else though so unlikely.
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 20,035
    I love mine no qrings mind I use praxis which are awesome oh and I ditched the bbright bottom bracket and bought a praxis conversion kit to 68 no squeaks clicks or ticks.
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • devildawgdevildawg Posts: 10
    Just a word of warning for anybody considering a purchase from P2M. My Rotor 3D+ based powermeter had a problem after less than 1 year of use (the spider came loose from the crank arm). P2M immediately decided, without any investigation, or examination of the item, that it must have been my fault, therefore they would not fix it under warranty. I will be sticking to brands I trust in future, and have just bough a Quarq Elsa, because SRAM understand Customer Service.
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    devildawg wrote:
    Just a word of warning for anybody considering a purchase from P2M. My Rotor 3D+ based powermeter had a problem after less than 1 year of use (the spider came loose from the crank arm). P2M immediately decided, without any investigation, or examination of the item, that it must have been my fault, therefore they would not fix it under warranty. I will be sticking to brands I trust in future, and have just bough a Quarq Elsa, because SRAM understand Customer Service.

    Strewth! You assembled everything. You failed to assemble it properly so it came loose. It is your fault and nobody else's. A lockring when properly tightened using thread lock does not come loose on its own. MTFU and stop trying to shift the blame for your incompetence.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philbar72philbar72 Posts: 2,228
    REDUTOPIA wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    mine are absolutely fine. run them for 10-14000 miles and they have been bombproof. I use shimano press fit bb's with them.
    Interesting.

    3d24's btw
    just use shimano dura ace or ultegra press fit bb's. no bother.
Sign In or Register to comment.