Gorges du Verdon

sniper68
sniper68 Posts: 2,910
We've just booked a week in Provence in August staying close to Gorges du Verdon.We stayed on the Coast a couple of years ago(Frejus) and I just pointed my bike inland and followed my nose.I'm aware that there's some great riding in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence area so would appreciate any tips!
I'm average fitness and would like routes between 50-100kms,scenic with good climbs.Any particular villages/cafes to look out for etc.
I'm also looking for some flatter rides as my 8 year old will be taking his Road/CX bike so any ideas of flattish rides 25-50km.He can climb but I wouldn't want to take him on any long drags!

Any advice/tip greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    My advice is to get used to get up early... Provence in August is roasting and 40 degrees in the afternoon are not unheard of. Not sure how used you are to riding in hot climate, but I find anything above 27-28 hard to contend. If you can fit a ride between 6-10 AM things are likely to be bearable
    left the forum March 2023
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It's a fabulous area for riding with spectacular scenery. But ugo is right to warn about the heat in August. So take two water bottles, watch our for sunburn and pace yourself on the climbs. It's pretty exposed on the roads round there and you will ride mostly in direct sunlight.

I've ridden the gorge roads on both sides on my touring bike with camping gear. On the northern side, make sure you do the minor road loop marked Route des Cretes and Barre de l'Escales on my Michelin map. The viewpoint at the top is fantastic. I would recommend doing it clockwise from the start/finish point at La Palud sur Verdon as the gradient is easier. On the southern side it's a good climb from Moustiers up the Col d'Illoire (great viewpoint) and then you follow the gorge largely downhill via the Balcons de la Mescla with views to your left as the road cuts through little tunnels in the rock. You could do both sides of the gorge in a very tough day ride.
  • sniper68
    My advice is to get used to get up early... Provence in August is roasting and 40 degrees in the afternoon are not unheard of. Not sure how used you are to riding in hot climate, but I find anything above 27-28 hard to contend. If you can fit a ride between 6-10 AM things are likely to be bearable

I'm usually not particularly good in heat but it was 36+ in 2014 and I coped OK on the ride I did.Inland it was quite shaded though and on my return leg it was via the Coastal Road so although hot it was quite breezy so felt cooler than it was.
    I'll bear this in mind though cheers!It will probably be early morning or early evening anyway so not to interfere with family stuff too much.
  • sniper68
    ibbo68 wrote:

I'm usually not particularly good in heat but it was 36+ in 2014 and I coped OK on the ride I did.Inland it was quite shaded though and on my return leg it was via the Coastal Road so although hot it was quite breezy so felt cooler than it was.
    I'll bear this in mind though cheers!It will probably be early morning or early evening anyway so not to interfere with family stuff too much.
    Mercia Man wrote:
    It's a fabulous area for riding with spectacular scenery. But ugo is right to warn about the heat in August. So take two water bottles, watch our for sunburn and pace yourself on the climbs. It's pretty exposed on the roads round there and you will ride mostly in direct sunlight.

I've ridden the gorge roads on both sides on my touring bike with camping gear. On the northern side, make sure you do the minor road loop marked Route des Cretes and Barre de l'Escales on my Michelin map. The viewpoint at the top is fantastic. I would recommend doing it clockwise from the start/finish point at La Palud sur Verdon as the gradient is easier. On the southern side it's a good climb from Moustiers up the Col d'Illoire (great viewpoint) and then you follow the gorge largely downhill via the Balcons de la Mescla with views to your left as the road cuts through little tunnels in the rock. You could do both sides of the gorge in a very tough day ride.
    All noted.I'll start looking for the names on my map cheers!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Cyclist Magazine did a GdV ride last month IIRC, might give you some ideas.
  • sniper68
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Cyclist Magazine did a GdV ride last month IIRC, might give you some ideas.
    Cheers!
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The book Alpine Passes by Road Bike has this route around the gorge - around 126km and 3260m elevation in ridewithgps

c7QZXS0.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I'm fairly sure we stayed by that lake when I was a nipper having been driven from the alps by rain on a family holiday

You could hire Canoes and go down into the gorge where there were loads of cliffs to jump off and caves to explore.

There were also a line of stunning young french ladies canoeing down the gorge topless. They made quite an impression on my early pubescent mind... :oops:

as you were...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sniper68
    All noted many thanks!
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Hi,

Gorges du Verdon is somewhere I have wanted to visit for years and have just never managed to get round to it, I'm hoping to take the gf this summer just for a few days. I'm wanting to spend a day kayaking down the river and then another day riding, now I'm aware this is a road cycling forum, we usually mtb but would just be glad to hire something pedal powered and go exploring.

Main questions are:
    - Where is a decent and central place to stay? I was originally thinking of staying in Nice and either hiring a car or going on some sort of tour, the drive is about 2.5 hours each way though so would rather stay local.
    - Are there any decent places to hire bikes to save us taking ours with us?
    - Do you know of any tours or guides around the area?

Thanks for any info on this, really appreciate it.

Dan
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Vulva65 wrote:
    Hi,

Gorges du Verdon is somewhere I have wanted to visit for years and have just never managed to get round to it, I'm hoping to take the gf this summer just for a few days. I'm wanting to spend a day kayaking down the river and then another day riding, now I'm aware this is a road cycling forum, we usually mtb but would just be glad to hire something pedal powered and go exploring.

Main questions are:
    - Where is a decent and central place to stay? I was originally thinking of staying in Nice and either hiring a car or going on some sort of tour, the drive is about 2.5 hours each way though so would rather stay local.
    - Are there any decent places to hire bikes to save us taking ours with us?
    - Do you know of any tours or guides around the area?

Thanks for any info on this, really appreciate it.

Dan

Castellane would be a good place to stay. A nice town within easy reach of the Gorges and lots of other nice riding all around. Big enough for a good choice of accommodation, shops, restaurants etc and I'm sure there would be a decent bike shop. Don't know about hiring bikes, though, but it is the tourism gateway for the Gorges. Moustiers-Ste-Marie is another possible base but Castellane would be my choice having camped at both.
  • sniper68
    Mercia Man wrote:

Castellane would be a good place to stay. A nice town within easy reach of the Gorges and lots of other nice riding all around. Big enough for a good choice of accommodation, shops, restaurants etc and I'm sure there would be a decent bike shop. Don't know about hiring bikes, though, but it is the tourism gateway for the Gorges. Moustiers-Ste-Marie is another possible base but Castellane would be my choice having camped at both.
    ^^^^This^^^^^^^

We stayed in a little village called Regusse near the small town of Aups(about 30km South of Lac Sainte Croix) but would stay in Castellane or La Palud-sur-Verdon when we return.We took our own bikes and hired a little cruiser to go up the Gorge but there were plenty in Canoes/Kayaks etc.
    Plenty of info here:-
    http://www.verdon-booking.com/en/canoekayak.php

http://www.lesgorgesduverdon.fr/en/index.html
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Cheers for the info guys, looks like Castellane it is. Will keep you posted on when I eventually get around to planning it!

Thanks again, happy riding!