Plane Tree Fibres pestilence alley

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited July 2016 in Commuting general
I am having almost daily severe coughing attacks as I do my daily commute along CS7 from Clapham to London Bridge, and the culprit is those fibreglass like fibres from the Plane trees that line the A3.
I'm surprised this is not in the news more here as its a popular gripe in Oz where they hate them.

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/plane-trees-a-serious-health-risk-during-spring-doctors-say-20151030-gkmxzd.html

Anybody else suffer? I can't be the only one surely? Can anyone recommend a decent mask until it goes away?

Comments

• You are not the only one. Once they get down your throat its horrible.

They are also super bloody itchy if they get down your top. Not nice.

I have no suggestions other than what I do. Tough it out :)
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I suffer too. Loads around Green Park. They don't make me coughy but my eyes are stinging. Spindly ba*$%ards.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Another attack yesterday, really takes me ages to start breathing normally again, which sucks when you are trying to go full pelt and have to slow down to cough a lung up
  • I suspect I suffer from the same, although I never knew what was causing it until now. I'd always assumed it was some form of hayfever - but there's just a handful of places where it catches me, and it always catches me on those places from spring to summer. I don't use CS7 but two places which spring to mind are:
    1) Somewhere south of East Croydon on the train - I'm assuming there is one of these trees by the side of the track.
    2) CHampion Hill, just off Dog Kennel Hill in East Dulwich.

Like you I get a severe coughing fit which lasts for about 5 mins. No solution I've found so far except to make sure I have a full bidon and drink lots.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.