Draining H+ Son Archetypes or similar rims

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited May 2016 in Workshop
OK, I have a really nice pair of handbuilt wheels (thank you Malcolm) which are currently my 'do it all' set but will become my winter set if other things go to plan. Fantastic wheels which, IMO, go a long way to debunk the myth that wheels have to be under 1600g to feel great...anyway I digress. Problem is that I use them in all weathers and have found that the construction of them (pointed rim on the nipple bed) means that water can easily ingress and seems to stay in the rim as there are no drainage holes. If you think about it, the water will settle away from the holes that it came in so leaving them to drain just doesn't work.

The last few times I have deflated the tyre (changing tubes, tyres, etc.) I was left with a little puddle on the floor and, although I do find the wheels a little exciting, I can honestly say it wasn't me. So, no big deal as I suspect the water weighs didly squat but I would rather not constantly carry it around with me and I don't like the idea of a constantly wet nipple/spoke combo (electrolytics and all that). So, not the end of the world but does anyone have any top tips of draining them, ideally an easy way that can be done after damp rides and doesn't involve removing the tube/tyre.

Many thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    This should be in the workshop, but no... unless you want to drill a hole in the rim, which wouldn't be the end of the world, you have to let the water out by the valve hole.
    It only happens if you go into deep puddles though... rain and general splashing shouldn't enter
    left the forum March 2023
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    My Vision Trimax T35's come with a little hole similar to this which i always thought was a drain hole.
    Generic google image:

50841-largest_C50_drain_hole.jpg
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The last few times I have deflated the tyre (changing tubes, tyres, etc.) I was left with a little puddle on the floor and, although I do find the wheels a little exciting, I can honestly say it wasn't me.
    Superb, thank you for that :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +2 to the drain hole idea. Both sets of Shimano wheels have drain holes just above the brake track; If I've been out in the wet I try to remember to turn the wheels so the holes are at the bottom after I've finished wiping down the bike. Sometimes the resulting puddle is quite significant.
  • Bobbinogs
    Thanks chaps for the prompt responses, yes I was a little surprised that the rims didn't have a drain hole and have been contemplating drilling one but was trying to leave that as my last option as I am not sure Malcolm's warranty would extend to butchered rims ;-)

Unfortunately, just leaving the wheels with the valve hole at the bottom doesn't work unless I deflate the tube then unseat the bead of the tyre and move the tube a bit, which is a bit of a faff. I accept it only happens every now and again on wet rides, but we do tend to get them over here particularly in the winter months and the Tewkesbury area seems to excel at flooded, errm, flood plains.
  • fudgey
    In that case the only other thing i can think of at the mo would be to use some stans no tubes sealant. take the tube out and use a tubeless valve and an old tyre, fill it with the stuff and pressurise using an airline as a pump probably wont do it to force the sealant out of every orifice.

Then refit the tube and normal tyre hoping that the sealant has sealed up where water could get in.

Downside is a little added weight and mess.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fudgey wrote:
    In that case the only other thing i can think of at the mo would be to use some stans no tubes sealant. take the tube out and use a tubeless valve and an old tyre, fill it with the stuff and pressurise using an airline as a pump probably wont do it to force the sealant out of every orifice.

Then refit the tube and normal tyre hoping that the sealant has sealed up where water could get in.

Downside is a little added weight and mess.

Water will be in the hollow section of the rim, rather than where the tube is, so it would be pointless to do that
  • fudgey
    But if you dont use the propper tubless tape to seal off the spoke holes the sealant will still get into all of the rim, including the internal parts.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Fudgey wrote:
    But if you dont use the propper tubless tape to seal off the spoke holes the sealant will still get into all of the rim, including the internal parts.

I'm thinking drilling a tiny drain hole sounds easier, lighter and a lot less messy...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Not to mention more effective...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fudgey
    That is what i would do, but Robin said he didnt want to drill the rims.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fudgey wrote:

and is that a good idea?
  • fudgey
    It was just an idea. Good if you want to seal the rim from water ingress. Bad if you ever want to change a spoke etc.
    As said, me personally if i considered water ingress an issue i would drill the rim.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fudgey wrote:
    It was just an idea. Good if you want to seal the rim from water ingress. Bad if you ever want to change a spoke etc.
    As said, me personally if i considered water ingress an issue i would drill the rim.

Sealant works with rubber, I am not sure it works with aluminium... besides you would seal it from water by adding water in the rim... :shock:

Drilling is the sensible thing to do if it's a problem
  • fudgey
    Doesnt it dry in air? So if any leaked out then it would seal.
    Either way i wont be trying it, and i am pretty sure Robin will not either.
  • Bobbinogs
    Interesting stuff, thanks for kicking this one about. Maybe I have stumbled across the perfect answer...just need something bigger:

Bike_zpsgg3hqufs.jpg