Newbie looking for a first bike advise.

Villan71
Villan71 Posts: 8
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
Hello all. Im looking for some advise on which bike i should look at/purchase. Having read many threads here and on bikerader reviews, what you need, whats good etc etc, im just completely confused on what i should look at.

What i have learned is that i need to go a shop and get the bike set up right but im not sure if they will have all the options of bikes to purchase as they tend to offer slightly high end, but before i venture in, i would like some help please. I have learned to keep away from halfords but decathlon "seem" to have some good bikes??

Im 44, and not seen a bike since i was 14 albeit ive used an exercise bike for many years and im sure once i have found what distance i can ride i will join a local club in Cannock/Walsall.

I have read this link http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... get-32772/

And thought about this, http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... ort-49977/

But im very open to any advise you may have for me.

Many thanks

Comments

• ajwcyclist
    ajwcyclist Posts: 12
    Honestly go to the local bike store don't think because only the top end models in they won't have entry level bikes they will. I have a 2006 model from that range for an entry level bike it's perfect. I got mine when the bought out the next year's range only difference was paint scheme and the new on had a cheaper groupset and the price increase
  • Villan71
    I've been to my local shop and been guided towards
    Emonda S5 or s6 for £200 more at £1300. Any thoughts on which is the better option?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Villan71 wrote:
    I've been to my local shop and been guided towards
    Emonda S5 or s6 for £200 more at £1300. Any thoughts on which is the better option?

If you're really comfortable spending over a grand on your first bike in years, the Emonda is a fine bike, and the S5 appears to have an 11 speed Shimano 105 groupset which is probably the sweet spot in terms of price vs performance. The next model up has Ultegra which may be a few grams lighter, but the functionality is pretty much the same as 105.

I'd save the extra money for decent bibshorts, helmet, mitts, jersey, cycling shoes, cleats and pedals
  • Villan71
    Many thanks for your in put. I didn't plan on spending that much but it's what they have att the shop, more high end bikes with expert advise.

So the 5 series would be good enough if not over spected for me... ??
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well when I returned to road riding at the age of 50 I went to a pretty good bike shop (Epic) and discussed my needs. I came away having test ridden a couple of suitable bikes, and taking on board their advice I ordered a completely different one from the one I initially wanted.

(What swayed it for me was that I wanted proper mudguards so I could ride it year round, and 25mm tyres for comfort)

I specified 105 level groupset, and the thing cost over £1000 nearly 9 years ago, but it's been a pretty good choice and I'm still riding it as a dedicated winter / wet bike. (I've since bought a lighter, carbon bike for summer / dry rides)

You can get a cheaper starter bike, something along the lines of one of the Decathlon B'Twin, or a Boardman, but you might not get the same advice or fitting that you'd get in a decent local bike shop. (On the other hand, not all bike shops are good, and some of the Halfords / Decathlon staff are very knowledgeable...)
  • Villan71
    Many thanks for the input keef. I get the point your saying and that's kinda my thoughts as well. I get a free bike fit as well so for me I think that's invaluable help.
  • Villan71
    Well i think i may go for this as they have it in my size in the shop for a test run.. Maybe a little over specked for my needs but its something that im thinking will last me a long time, what are your thoughts?

http://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes ... 41600-2016
  • ajwcyclist
    Looks like a nice bike and something that will encourage you to go out and ride
  • Villan71
    Thank you. its kinda the plan, i want to really hit the roads... Do you think its worth the money or am i going over the top?
  • Orange172
    Orange172 Posts: 3
    Nice bike. I won't try and recommend anything else as there's so much choice out there. I bought my bike on the basis I liked the colour. Matt Orange specialized Tarmac sport. I went with the intention of buying the specialized Roubaix, but the orange one caught my eye and I had to have it. :D
  • ajwcyclist
    Villan71 wrote:
    Thank you. its kinda the plan, i want to really hit the roads... Do you think its worth the money or am i going over the top?
    Value is something you have to decide on. It's got full ultegra groupset which is decent stuff. Evan the 105 is just as good at a cheaper price point. The only point I think they have skimped on is wheels. Saying that they will be decent for training on and putting the miles in. If I was looking for a starter bike I certainly would consider it
  • Villan71
    ajwcyclist wrote:
    Villan71 wrote:
    Value is something you have to decide on. It's got full ultegra groupset which is decent stuff. Evan the 105 is just as good at a cheaper price point. The only point I think they have skimped on is wheels. Saying that they will be decent for training on and putting the miles in. If I was looking for a starter bike I certainly would consider it

Thank you for the input.. value I know is a personal choice. Time has moved on a lot since I last had a bike and technology costs... for the sake of a few hundred quid, I have a bike that will last and the only up grade I see are the wheels as you pointed out.

I think you have helped me to decide.

Many thanks.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Villan, maybe a bit late in the day, but I've just started proper biking since April last year. Again, not a clue what to buy, but I passed a Decathlon store and went from there with a Triban 540. Totally by accident, I found I had a 'perfectly reasonable bike' according to a pro in Mallorca: what I've since learnt is that you can get cheap carbon bikes with an awful set up, or much cheaper aluminium bikes with a great set up. My one comes with 105's, Mavic wheels and carbon forks and at 9.5kilos, the whole bike is now selling at £500. The only cheapo factor is the tyres, which I'm now replacing and doesn't cost the earth.

Doesn't seem anything wrong with your ideal bike, except as said, wheels, which can be costly to replace
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A grand is a lot to spend on a bike. Especially if you might hate cycling.

The decathlon route is a decent one. You can get a good bike there and make sure that it takes mudguards and 25mm tyres. That way once our summer is over you have a bike for the winter.

By the time next year comes round you'll be hankering after a new bike. You'll have a far better idea of what you like by then.

The cheap one will also be better for any clipless incidents.