Current Shimano 105 5700 setup to 5800?

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Hi all

My road bike is a Mekk 2G Poggio P2.5 105 2013.

It has a 10 speed 11-28 generic Shimano cassette, on Shimano R500 wheels, a Mekk compact chainset 50/34 and a front 105 front derailleur, 10 seed KMC chain, and Shimano 105 5700 Shifters.

I am planning to buy a Zonda 2 way wheelset, and a new 105 11-28 cassette 11 speed, and put the R500 wheel set and the old cassette on my commuter bike.

I realise I will need an 11 speed chain, but will the 11 speed cassette fit with the 5700 front derailleur, 5700 shifters, and my current chainset?

Would that be compatible with my current setup? If not, what else would I need to change?

Many thanks

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If your shifters only have the clicks for 10 speed - how will they click for the 11 speed ?

Surely you'd need new shifters too ?

(not an expert - but its not worth the extra cost for 1 sprocket)
  • odessouky
    Fenix wrote:
    If your shifters only have the clicks for 10 speed - how will they click for the 11 speed ?

Surely you'd need new shifters too ?

(not an expert - but its not worth the extra cost for 1 sprocket)

yeah...i won't do it if i need to change the shifters...

I thought shifters just click, and r limited with what the rear and front deraileurs allow...
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    All the indexing is in the shifters. If you use 10 speed shifters with an 11 speed cassette you will only be able to use 10 of the gears. It is the derailleurs that are generally speed agnostic. They move freely between whatever end stops are set and are controlled by the shifter.
  • odessouky
    wongataa wrote:
    All the indexing is in the shifters. If you use 10 speed shifters with an 11 speed cassette you will only be able to use 10 of the gears. It is the derailleurs that are generally speed agnostic. They move freely between whatever end stops are set and are controlled by the shifter.

good to know...thanks for that...

guess i'll stick with the 10 speed 5700 cassette then...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    No it is not as simple as that, the pull ratio of the STI's is different between 10 and 11sp as is the spacing between the cassette cogs, so you would never get it to index correctly. If you want to go to 11sp buy a groupset or just stick with 10sp until your current transmission is worn out.
  • hucko003
    hucko003 Posts: 28
    You will need to replace shifters, chain (10 speed chain on 11 speed cassette won't work) and the rear mech (that is also limited to just 10 shifts). You can probably get away without but as the 5800 front mech uses the Dura-Ace / Ultegra design, Shimano say it has a different amount of cable pull compared to 5700 but I reckon you should probably be able to get away with that.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    hucko003 wrote:
    You will need to replace shifters, chain (10 speed chain on 11 speed cassette won't work) and the rear mech (that is also limited to just 10 shifts). You can probably get away without but as the 5800 front mech uses the Dura-Ace / Ultegra design, Shimano say it has a different amount of cable pull compared to 5700 but I reckon you should probably be able to get away with that.

No, the new 11 speed front mechs have a much longer arm, which gives greatly improved shifting but it also means the cable pull is very different. I very much doubt you'd get a 5800 shifter operating a 5700 front mech properly.

£300 for a 5800 groupset is a bargain; I'd just save up and do the whole thing in one hit.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    If you get a full 5800 groupset, which I've seen for as low as £275 , unless your existing groupset is completely shot you should be able to around £100 for the shifters, mechs, brakes and chainset selling separately on eBay.
    Means total cost of upgrade is about £175, plus it's all new and it all matches.
    Or if you've got a commuting bike that can always take an upgrade or two!
  • odessouky
    last question...

most of my current setup is 105 5700, and I'll stick with it till it wears out...as advised above..

the only non 105 5700 component is the MEKK compact 50/34 compact chainset, and its pretty poor...and quite heavy

Would a 105 5800 11 speed 50/34 chainset work with my current 10 speed 105 5700 setup?

I'd rather change the chainset for now?

Thanks
  • dj58
    I have read on the various road forums that members are using 11 speed cranksets, 5800/6800 with their 10 speed transmission without problems.
  • keef66
    odessouky wrote:
    last question...

most of my current setup is 105 5700, and I'll stick with it till it wears out...as advised above..

the only non 105 5700 component is the MEKK compact 50/34 compact chainset, and its pretty poor...and quite heavy

Would a 105 5800 11 speed 50/34 chainset work with my current 10 speed 105 5700 setup?

Thanks

Yes, that would work. You will need tools to remove the old crankset and bottom bracket, and a different one to install the 5800 hollow tech BB.
  • odessouky
    DJ58 wrote:
    I have read on the various road forums that members are using 11 speed cranksets, 5800/6800 with their 10 speed transmission without problems.

excellent...thanks for that..
  • odessouky
    keef66 wrote:
    odessouky wrote:
    last question...

Thanks

Yes, that would work. You will need tools to remove the old crankset and bottom bracket, and a different one to install the 5800 hollow tech BB.

is there ANY chance that my current BB shell will NOT be compatible with a 5800 compact crankset? Don't want to buy one, only to be told by my LBS that it will not fit, or it's incompatible?
  • odessouky
    Just checked, my current BB is a: Shimano BB86...press fit i guess
  • dj58
    odessouky wrote:
    Just checked, my current BB is a: Shimano BB86...press fit i guess

If it looks like this http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh ... 2-41b.html and is still operating smoothly, then yes it is a straight swop and you can change it yourself with a 5mm hex allen bit, torque wrench http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essent ... rench-set/
    and Shimano TL-FC16 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds tool.
  • odessouky
    Ok..so I made my mind up...thanks to all the replies...but one last question...

As advised above, I will buy an Ultegra 6800 HollowTech II Chainset, 11 speed, to fit to my CURRENT Press Fit BB86, and am also thinking of changing my current 105 5700 10 speed front mech, as front shifting has been rubbish.

my question is: would it be ok to get an ultegra 6800 11 speed front mech, or should i stick with a 6700 10 speed front mech?

rest of components:
    shifters: 5700 10 speed
    rear mech: 5700 10 speed
    chain: 10 speed
    cassette: 5700 10 speed

mant thanks
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    odessouky wrote:

my question is: would it be ok to get an ultegra 6800 11 speed front mech, or should i stick with a 6700 10 speed front mech?

As mentioned above, the new 5800/6800 front mechs have a different design with a longer actuating arm. See images below for the 5700 and 6800 mechs
    FD5700
    8625_shimano_105_5700_front_derailleur_braze_on_black.jpg
    FD6800
    11470_shimano_ultegra_6800_front_derailleur.jpg

This was introduced I believe to reduce the amount of cable pull needed to get the mech to shift from small to large chainring. In theory your 5700 left shifter was matched to the FD5700 which required a slightly longer cable pull. Therefore it may be OK to operate one of the new design front mechs. However I would not automatically assume that.

If you want to risk it though the cost is not prohibitive and if it doesn't work then you can always sell on the FD6800 and get most of your money back.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    odessouky wrote:

As advised above, I will buy an Ultegra 6800 HollowTech II Chainset, 11 speed, to fit to my CURRENT Press Fit BB86, and am also thinking of changing my current 105 5700 10 speed front mech, as front shifting has been rubbish.

rest of components:

mant thanks

don't get a 5800 or 6800 front mech as it won't work well with your shifters.
    get someone to setup your 5700 front mech, should work fine.

does the chainset have different chainrings to 50-34? shimano will shift better than mekk but a lot of money to replace the chainset
  • odessouky
    dgunthor wrote:
    odessouky wrote:

rest of components:

mant thanks

don't get a 5800 or 6800 front mech as it won't work well with your shifters.
    get someone to setup your 5700 front mech, should work fine.

does the chainset have different chainrings to 50-34? shimano will shift better than mekk but a lot of money to replace the chainset

no, my current chainset is a 50-34

i plan to get a 52-36. I know its a lot of money, but I have had my front mech fixed at evans more than 5 times, and my front shifting ALWAYS is bad, and every week or so, drops the chain completely. was advised to change the chainset completely, and if i can, the mech as well
  • dgunthor
    sounds like a good plan then :-)
  • dj58
    Where does the chain drop, crank side of outer ring, in between the chainrings or inner ring chain stay?
  • odessouky
    DJ58 wrote:
    Where does the chain drop, crank side of outer ring, in between the chainrings or inner ring chain stay?

Never really paid attention. I'll keep an eye on that.

Also, every single time I am shifting from the smaller 34 ring to the 50 ring, the chain falls off onto the BB shell and then gets picked up by the large ring and all is fine. This happens EVERY SINGLE time I go from small to large ring.

Then maybe once a week, the chain doesn't get picked up by the larger ring and it simply falls off.
  • dgunthor
    has anyone altered the chainrings - are the 34 and 50 chainrings bolted on correctly?
  • keef66
    odessouky wrote:
    DJ58 wrote:

Never really paid attention. I'll keep an eye on that.

Also, every single time I am shifting from the smaller 34 ring to the 50 ring, the chain falls off onto the BB shell and then gets picked up by the large ring and all is fine. This happens EVERY SINGLE time I go from small to large ring.

Then maybe once a week, the chain doesn't get picked up by the larger ring and it simply falls off.

Something seriously wrong there then, but I'm at a complete loss to explain it. Can't be doing the chain any good...
  • dgunthor
    maybe add a picure vertically above the chainrings to see the spacing between them and horizontal to see the setup of the front mech
  • odessouky
    dgunthor wrote:
    maybe add a picure vertically above the chainrings to see the spacing between them and horizontal to see the setup of the front mech

good idea...I'll do that first thing tomorrow when I get back from work....cheers...
  • odessouky
    dgunthor wrote:

here are some pics I took today....apologies for all the pics, as I had no idea what I am supposed to capture in the images?

Thanks

IMG_6219.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

IMG_6230.jpg

IMG_6233.jpg
  • dj58
    Would be helpful to have one photo taken from above, of the high gear (big ring, small rear sprocket) and low gear, (inner ring, large rear sprocket), showing the position of the front derailleur cage plates in relation to the chain. Also have you determined which direction the chain falls of which chainring, the high and low limit screws may need adjusting.
  • dgunthor
    in the first pic the front mech looks a little rotated in - rather than parallel with the chainrings or as i prefer a little tilted out. it's hard to tell from the pics though as further down in the pics alignment looks a little better.

is the braze on mount tight to the frame - can't see if it's bolted or riveted to the frame - if bolted, check the bolts are tight. same goes for the front mech bolt