Hybrid commuting bike for around £500 or less

97hills
97hills Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Commuting general
Hi everyone.

Hoping someone can help - new to this forum!

Can anyone recommend a hybrid bike that won't sacrifice too much on speed for the daily commute in London? I've had problems with bikes getting stolen so for that reason I'm not really going to spend too much while I keep my road bike in a slightly safer location!

I've read on here that the Boardman hybrids are hard to beat on spec for the price they are. Any other recommendations? I used to use my trek road bike for the commute but as it's not that long a cycle I would prefer a bit more flexibility in exchange for a little speed. For example, chain guards would be very handy to give me a bit more flexibility on what I wear. Marrying this up with a bike that can still get up to speed seems a tough combo right now! An option to add panniers would also be good.

Also, are there any bikes out there that are offering integrated lights yet around this price range? I've looked and looked but it seems to only be on premium bikes around the £1500 mark. Considering every urban bike needs these lights I still can't believe someone hasn't integrated them better! Would ideally get something for under the £500 - more to be comfortable leaving it out in London. Maybe a couple of £150 second hand bikes is the best way!

Thanks in advance!

Steven

Comments

• Boardman Hybrid Comp or B'Twin Triban 540 spring to mind. You would have to fit guards and lights though, which would push the price up.

if you want something that comes with all the bells and whistles, the B'Twin Hoprider 520 is hard to beat, although it's a bit heavy. That said, it depends on how long and how hilly your commute is.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-520 ... 07666.html
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    +1 for Triban 540 flat bar, would be a fast commuter. Comes with 25mm tyres but can take wider.
  • If you're that worried about your bike being nicked, get your hands on a gold rated d-lock such as the Kryptonite New York lock. Your eff'ing bike is going nowhere!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Boardman would be the best for budget but if leaving it out in London then you should spend alot less - to get something less attractive to thieves and to make it less of a problem if it does get stolen.

I would probably go for second hand and look for something that looks scruffy but is mechanically sound.

If you want new, I would go for the cheapest decent hybrid that Decathlon do - either the one linked above or if you want something racier, http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-f ... 22664.html Then get a couple cans of spray paint and make the frame look both unique and scruffy. Then spend a chunk of money on as good a set of locks as possible.
  • 97hills
    97hills Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Really appreciate it

Unfortunately my last bike had some top of the range locks but there's not much you can do if they break into the bike store and use an electric hacksaw to cut through the rack and the locks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I once spotted a right mess of a bike, all the paint rubbed off with course sandpaper, took me a while to work out it was actually a fairly decent MTB that retailed for about £800, owner obviously decided that keeping it was worth more than the looks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.