Carry a bike on a bike?

Alex99
Alex99 Posts: 1,407
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

sometimes it would be useful to be able to hitch or tow a bike behind my bike e.g. taking my daughter's bike to pick her up from school. Then, unhitch, and we both cycle home. Anyone done this?

I imagine it would be possible with a rear rack and maybe a roof-rack fork mount bolted on, maybe.

Comments

• natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    You could use a trail-gator depending on the size of your daughters bike
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Nathaweicx
    Nathaweicx Posts: 1
    Yeah, trail- gators are good if the bike is small enough. They do turn the bike into a lorry however.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Yeah, Trailgator are good. They will ruin the head tube of her bike so make sure it's not precious. My daughter loved it when she had one. She used to go "no hands" and shout "I'm uni-cycling! Wheeeeeeeee!"

It was fun until suddenly she was beside me at and odd angle as the tube swung round and she came off and got dragged along the path for a bit!

I was relieved when it went!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Once I have seen a guy cycling while holding another bike with his hand, note the second bike was not touching the ground... that was quite a feat
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Perhaps you could somehow fix them run them side by side in a sort of catamaran arrangement .
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    MrB123 wrote:
    Perhaps you could somehow fix them run them side by side in a sort of catamaran arrangement .
    Difficult due to pedals sticking out.

I've been giving this some thought - also in relation to on a scooter and the only thing I can think of is a car bike carrier attached in some way to a pannier rack....

Ghost riding (Ie riding one handed holding the empty bike with the other) was a lot harder than I remembered it....
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Or just carry it cyclo cross style whilst riding your bike, see http://crossjunkie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/ ... garth.html
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    Frame on back in rucksack arrangement, wheel attached to either side of front fork panniers.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Alex99
    Once I have seen a guy cycling while holding another bike with his hand, note the second bike was not touching the ground... that was quite a feat

Sounds quite dangerous, but I applaud the effort.
  • Alex99
    MrB123 wrote:

That works. When I used to ride a track league, I would see a few guys heading through Birmingham city centre wheeling their track bikes like this.
  • Alex99
    natrix wrote:
    Or just carry it cyclo cross style whilst riding your bike, see http://crossjunkie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/ ... garth.html

That's mental
  • Alex99
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Yeah, Trailgator are good. They will ruin the head tube of her bike so make sure it's not precious. My daughter loved it when she had one. She used to go "no hands" and shout "I'm uni-cycling! Wheeeeeeeee!"

It was fun until suddenly she was beside me at and odd angle as the tube swung round and she came off and got dragged along the path for a bit!

I was relieved when it went!

Daughters bike is a nice one... I'll think on
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Love the way in the video she has a helmet on but the straps are not done up, might as well be wearing a saucepan.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Alex99
    JesseD wrote:
    Love the way in the video she has a helmet on but the straps are not done up, might as well be wearing a saucepan.

I presume she'd be carrying it if she had a spare hand.