new chain, cassette but original rings

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited May 2016 in Workshop
So as title suggests I moved from 9 speed Sora to 10 speed Tiagra 4700. Replaced the chain, cassette, RD and shifters but left my 9 speed FSA Gossamer crankset on as in pretty good condition still.

Every is working (mostly) okay but it's not smooth at all. Alignment looks good, but pedal strokes, especially when on the smaller back cogs are rough and you can feel it through the pedals. Feels like it's coming from crank, not cassette.

Is this an issue that will go away once the cassette, chain and rings wear in with each other or am I likely to have to replace the rings?

Thanks

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Never noticed worn chainrings run not smooth...chainrings last very long normally.
    Gues your new chain and cassette have to run in...
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Can you adjust your chain line ?

But i suspect your chain rings are slightly too fat.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    9/10/11 chainrings should make no difference

if you move the chain off the chainrings, does the chainset spin smoothly in the bottom bracket?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is the chain correctly routed through the rear mech? I once reinstalled a chain too hastily and only after connecting it noticed I'd passed it the wrong side of one of the tabs on the rear mech cage. That had an interesting rough quality you could certainly feel through the pedals...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Did you fit a 10sp chain or 9 speed?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • chatlow
    dgunthor wrote:
    9/10/11 chainrings should make no difference

if you move the chain off the chainrings, does the chainset spin smoothly in the bottom bracket?

Yeah BB/cranks spin smoothly, definitely chain, RD, chain rings sounding rough.

trailflow wrote:
    Can you adjust your chain line ?

But i suspect your chain rings are slightly too fat.

no idea how to do this. I was told the size of rings with 9/10 speed is the same, it's the just the distance between them which is slightly different

keef66 wrote:
    Is the chain correctly routed through the rear mech? I once reinstalled a chain too hastily and only after connecting it noticed I'd passed it the wrong side of one of the tabs on the rear mech cage. That had an interesting rough quality you could certainly feel through the pedals...

Yeah, made sure i routed correctly through the RD.
    drlodge wrote:
    Did you fit a 10sp chain or 9 speed?

10 speed chain to go with 10 speed shifters, cassette and RD. Struggling to confirm if my FSA Gossamer crank is 9 speed only or can handle 10 as well.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    ok, one thing is the cable pull on 4700 shifters is different, so if you are using the 9 speed mech then it's not going to line up great. 9 speed fronnt mech cages are wider than 10 too as 10 speed chains are narrower - to verify this you could remove the front mech from the bike and see if it runs fine.

suspect options are 4700 front mech or use old 9 speed LHS front brake/shift lever

only other thing i can think of is could the cassette not be on correctly e.g. not enough spacers before the cassette went on? (would be able to move the sprockets a little side to side on the freehub if so)
  • chatlow
    dgunthor wrote:
    ok, one thing is the cable pull on 4700 shifters is different, so if you are using the 9 speed mech then it's not going to line up great. 9 speed fronnt mech cages are wider than 10 too as 10 speed chains are narrower - to verify this you could remove the front mech from the bike and see if it runs fine.

suspect options are 4700 front mech or use old 9 speed LHS front brake/shift lever

only other thing i can think of is could the cassette not be on correctly e.g. not enough spacers before the cassette went on? (would be able to move the sprockets a little side to side on the freehub if so)

Sorry you've lost me. Not sure how this issue could be related to the front mech? Shifting from small to big ring is almost perfect and there is no rubbing between chain and front mech.

Cassette is solid, so the spacer i used that came with 11 speed Zonda wheel seems to be working fine.

Thinking either chain line is off or the chain is not best friends with the used fsa chain rings (either because they are not brand new or maybe 9 speed only)

Failing above would a slightly too long chain cause these symptoms? Could prob remove another link.