Replacement chainrings or chainset for FSA Gossamer?

jonathanuk
jonathanuk Posts: 67
edited May 2016 in Workshop
I have currently an FSA Gossamer PRO BB386EVO 46/36T 110BCD 172.5mm cranks on my 11-speed 105 cyclocross bike, BB30, I've been looking for replacement chainrings but failing miserably to find a matching pair of 46/36T rings (I want both rings to be black), I also don't want to have to spend almost the price of a whole crankset just to get the rings.

I saw in another thread mention of Shimano cranksets, if it's going to be light, hard-wearing, and look good (black would be nice) then could someone please recommend one that should fit? I'd prefer to stick with BB30 but open to suggestions so long as a complete novice such as myself could fit it, I've never taken a crankset off let alone a bottom bracket. My bike is white with blue and red details so any of these colours as details would be fine on the cranks.

As an alternative, just a suggestion of a suitable set of 46/36T rings that will work well with my 11-speed 105 setup would also be most welcome (and a bit easier for me to fit, I hope).

Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Anything with 110 mm BCD will fit.
    Stronglight is reasonable prized, look at Spa cycles etc.
  • jonathanuk
    Additional to this, as I have 11 speed is there any problem with a chainring that says N10 on it? I'm guessing this means that it is designed for 10 speed cassettes. My current set has N10/N11 on both chainrings. I'd much rather have something that is going to be optimised and work as well as possible with my 11 speed system.
  • jonathanuk
    Keezx wrote:
    Anything with 110 mm BCD will fit.
    Stronglight is reasonable prized, look at Spa cycles etc.

Do you mean in terms of chainrings?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Yes, i pointed chainrings.
    Would'nt worry about 9/10/11 speed, they all do the job with 11 speed.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    How much mileage are on your current chainrings ?

You can buy 110 BCD chainrings in singles. It can work out cheaper that way. Stronglight, BOR, TA Specialites, SRAM, FSA all sell single rings.

Bike24.com, r2-bike.com, starbike.com have a good selection.

Dont worry about mixing and matching brands. (except for Campagnolo as they wont fit at all)

11 speed rings are slightly narrower than 10 speed rings and it's best to choose 11 speed if available. 10/9 speed rings would be 2nd best as they could be too thick and/or have the wrong offset. Some can work fine but they are not all equal. Some 9/10 speed chainrings are designed for triple chainsets for example

If they say they are '11/10' speed compatible. They should be fine.

Shimano do not make BB30 cranksets. They use a 24mm spindle (BB30 = 30mm spindle). Shimano cranksets can be fitted to BB30 with adapters - simple push-in cups that slide into the existing bearings (easier and cheaper) or with a full conversion sleeve that requires removing your existing bearings (more complicated and more expensive).

You dont really need to buy a new crankset if there is nothing wrong with your current one. Shimano chainsets are not known for being that light unless you go Dura Ace. Your current Gossamer PRO will be similar to 105 and Ultegra. Not much to be gained there. The newer Shimano chainsets are 4-arm instead of 5-arm which limits the available aftermarket chainring replacement options. More are becoming avaliable. But 5-arm rings are far easier to find as of now.

If you want to try some oval shaped rings. DOVAL on ebay are selling sets (pair) for under £35 delivered. They work fine with 11 speed (I've tried them) but they may require finer positioning and adjustment of the FD. I also recommend choosing the lowest oval percentage out of the options.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-New-DOVA ... ShwEnr0Rsw

The DOVAL rings can be fitted to both 5-arm and 4-arn cranks with a cleverly designed adaptor (included).
  • jonathanuk
    Thank you very much for your replies, I have ordered a pair of chainrings from Spa Cycles (their own brand), we shall see what they're like.