Cycling in Poitou Charentes

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,903
Afternoon,

we are off for a family holiday for 10 days to Poitou Charentes, and then up to catch the beginning of Le Tour.

Does anyone know of any specifically good routes, or climbs in PC that I should consider?

I will be going with my gf and our 3 year old daughter, so predominantly it will be early 2 hour blasts, though I dare say i can probably take a half day for a longer ride at some point.

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    Hi, where in Poitou Charentes are you staying? I've cycled a lot around the Poitiers area. Lots of lovely quiet lanes etc to ride, but not really any climbs as the region is generally quite flat!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Yes it's pretty big so there will be aome variety. Certainly where I've stayed near LaRochelle it was flat and parts almost like the Fens, spent 15 minutes watching a family of coypu in a drainage ditch on one ride. Further inland I remember it being green rolling countryside.

Plenty of family attractions and some nice beaches and towns round there though so you may not get too much time to ride. We visited an unusual kind of theme park called the Puy du Fou I think which is worth going to if you don't get on with the usual type theme park rides.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,428
    Puy du Fou is a great day out - historical theme park with loads of action. The 'Roman' amphitheatre was also the location of the presentation of riders the last time the Tour departed in the Vendee, and the chariot races around it are pretty cool.